tube sub

• Members

Originally posted by Dr_spooju

i have a peavey 50/50 and it has four positions for preamp tubes, two for 12ax7s and two for 12at7s. what would be the outcome for putting the 12ax7s in the 12at7s positions and does anyone have any suggestions?

:rolleyes:

Well, I'm asuming that your talking about the 50/50 power amp (I don't know much about peavey), than the 12at7 is originally in the phase inverter position and the 12ax7 is originally in the pre driver position. So there's one pre and PI for each side of the power amp. But as for what you can expect when you switch them? I don't know. I highly doubt it will sound better.

• Members

The current draw is somewhat different, indeed, but shouldn't cause any trouble in your amp. When you use small tube stompboxes, then the powersupplies may be insufficient, but I don't expect this in a tube poweramp. NEVER heard of anyone having trouble with it.

Maarten

• Members

You should have no trouble at all. It's the same as an amp head - you can sub a 12ax7,12at7,12ay7 whatever your preference/gain needs is/are. I actually did this w my VHT UL w EQ (VooDoo Amps Modded) and dropped a 12ax7 in the PI which actually gave me more power amp distortion and warmth in my signal path. Keep in mind I run KT88's (VHT UL) which don't break up hence why the 12ax7 crunch provides extra warmth. Hope it helps -

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

Archived