Recording (SOT) Analog vs. Digital

Rai168

• Members

You guys are really opening my mind up. My band is going into record our debut cd and we are getting flat rate time from a friend and doing it all ourselves w him running the board. We are using a MAckie Hard drive system which is what I used at Zeus' (Century Media/Universal Hatebreed,Shadow's Fall, God Forbid etc) and it sounded great but I do recognize the digital sound. I know a good tube mic preamp is key. Man my band has come so far along that I don't want to kill the songs by a cold sterile recording. Any tips to get the best tone out the system I am working w? Thanks -

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

while preamps are very important, it doesn't really have much to do with tubes. My favorite preamps are not tube based. (like a neve 1073 for example).

Good microphones are most definitely a key ingredient. Again, some have tubes but this does not make them inherhently superior.

Good AD converters will help.

What you'll also need is a good set of ears. A good engineer won't make your recording sound cold and sterile.

Good monitors for to mix well.

Well, you get the point. All links in the chain are vital.

• Members

Cool - thank you very much for the reply. I'll def. be using my ears to listen for that cold harsh sterile sound I've grown to detest and I'll make sure to ride my engineer like a $5 Pony ride ;) if i hear anything I don't like heh. Ok not that bad but you get the idea...I wasn't aware it was really in the engineers hands - and had thought it was down to the equipment but I have heard alot of decent digital recordings - so I'm guessing the compromise btwn the 2 is nil to none. Obviously analog is much warmer but the one thing I never liked about analog was that alot of itmes - again give the engineers abaility - the recordings can come out muddy sounding. So I guess both have their pros and cons. Thanks again -

Rai //

www.DatsMusic.com

• Members

THe Mackie system works well.IT can be optimized with external converters.

For instance , I recorded som guitar tracks through the mackie system and they basically came out good.The guy was using a great river MP2... mic pre into an apogee rosetta and i forget what else he had but he was using another high end component as a master clock for all the gear.THis makes for a very accurate recording.

Alot of the digital recordings in the last 4 years totally smoke many of the analog tape recordings from the 80's.I still have some 80's recordings like THe Police,some 80's metal,Boston,etc and they don't sound so great compared to the newer stuff.

However, I must say that My Pink Floyd CD's sound nice still.THey did a nice job recording some of those like Dark Side of THe Moon.

I bought a Universal Audio 2-610 mic pre because I wanted to maximize the warmth of my guitar tone and vocals.So I always record with it.IF you can find a nice tube mic pre, then go for it.IT will definitely help your recording a little. Jsut don't use something cheap, because then you are getting coloration but lots of nosie to boot and a lack of dynamic response.

Archived