Switching systems.....help

• Members

Alright this is for you guys with the Monster Racks......

I need to know A couple things. First I've always run like two preamps with just a a/b switch to change pre's. I want ot run 3 or more pre's and effects, etc.... What kind of switcher do I need, I've looked at the Voodoo Labs, CAE, GXC etc....

I'm not sure which one I need. This is the set up I'm putting together.

1. Ada Mp-1 3tm

2. Ada Mp-1 3.666

3. Engl 530

4. BBE

5. eq

6. T.C.Electronic G-Major

7. Rocktron Hush Super C

8. Marshall 100/100 power amp.

Thats it for now, Any help will be appreciated.......

Thanks Guys

• Members

I use a DMC GCX audio switcher. You probably can pick one up for 250 used on E-Bay. Works great with a ground control pro. I use it with with a Triaxis, Jmp-1, and G-Major. I can use it with my Quad which is my backup pre.

• Members

Switchblad GL....

I'm ordering one next week. I've been using a GCX in 2 of my racks for years and they are great. But if you are adding a 3rd preamp, you'll have to give in and get the Switchblade. Another option is to get a GCX and a GRX4 from Axess, then you can use 3 to 4 preamps.

Or you can just sell the preamps you have and buy an Engl E580 and have no need for 3 preamps:cool:

• Members

Geez guys, look at his gear and maybe you can re-evaluate what to offer the guy as a suggestion. Soundsculpture = awesome, of course, but this guy's not cruising in a Maybach. A mercedes c-class maybe, so offer the equivalent, the gcx suggestion being on par. No sense in spending too much too soon, be it experimentation or not.

I have the rx-1 but recommend the gcx here, at a glance anyways. I believe the have mods available, lots of people use them. Good luck.

• Members

Most of the standard audio switching uses one of two methods: EMR, SSR. Electromagnetic relaying is limited in the number of relay switches that can take up board real estate, and SSR can have charge injection problems. These can be smoothed out with good engineering. Optoisolator methods look real nice, except for leakage current that can hurt your sound. I'm in the same boat as you - currently looking at routing methods for my rig. Switchblades look nice, and I like their matrix modularity. Some of my favorite pros use the CAE system. However, I'm not happy with these - I am looking at www.matrixsystem.com - MILITARY grade {censored}e....Just how to interface to the God awful Amphenols. Uggh. I think it's back to microcontroller basics for me - time to design my own.

Archived