rocktron vp4 anyone?

• Members

hi,

does anybody have any experience with the rocktron gp4?

it's relatively cheap here, and i'm in the market for a new tube preamp with midi.

how are the sounds? the most important would be a twin, deluxe reverb and jcm800 soundwise for me...

• Members

I have not played the Rocktron VP4...but I know that Bruce Egnater, who designed it, has said that the design philosophy behind this pre is basically hot-rodded Vox AC-30 meets Mesa Dual Rectifier. So, it may not be what you are looking for. If what you really want is Fender and Marshall tones, then check into Egnater's IE-4 or his new M4 modular preamp.

• Members

hm, vox and mesa isn't really what i'm looking for..

thanks for teh recommendation but i bet it's difficult to get those here in austria, and my price range is rather limited as well

any other recommendations probably?

• Members

Yes, I would guess Egnater stuff would be hard to find in Austria, although maybe in Germany?

You might look around for the Randall RM4. This is basically the same 4-channel modular MIDI preamp as Egnater's M4...it's just manufactured in Asia and distributed by Randall. Also, the RM4 is a little less expensive than the M4. Randall/Egnater have several different Fender and Marshall modules for the RM4/M4: Twin, Deluxe, Bassman, JTM-45, Plexi, "Brown", SL+...take your pick, they all sound fantastic. Check Randall's web site for more info:

http://www.randallamplifiers.com

Here is the info for the Randall distributor in Austria:

Kauth Electronik & Musikinstrumente

Winterthurstrasse 3

A-6060 Hall in Tirol

E-Mail: kauth.hc@tirol.com

Tel. 43-5223-56335

Fax. 43-5223-43578

Another thought...since you're in Austria, have you considered a trip to Munich to check out a Diezel?

Archived