Rack pictures

• Members

And for anyone wondering about the gear specifics or signal path...

The guitar is a B.C. Rich Warlock neck-through standard with ceramic magnet, high-output humbuckers.

The preamp is a Mesa/Boogie Triaxis 2.0 with the phat mod and is loaded with Telefunken ECC83 smooth plate and Mesa Russian-2 12AX7 preamp tubes.

The effects processor is an Eventide GTR4000 with the large (172 sec.) internal sampling card.

The power amplifier is a Mesa/Boogie Strategy 500 Stereo loaded with Philips 6L6WGB and GE 6550A power tubes.

The speaker cabinet is a Crate GS412S reloaded with Celestion G12H-80 ceramic magnet speakers and rewired with New Monster speaker cable.

All audio signal cables are Monster Performer 500 Rock and/or Jazz cables.

All units are supplied power by a Furman AR-1215 Voltage Regulator/Power Conditioner.

I do know that I could cut down on the amount of loose cable in and around my rack. I just have not gotten around to it yet. However, the loose cable is all separated by type to keep noise down; audio under the cabinet on the left, MIDI cable under the Triaxis and excess AC cable bundled on the right side of the rack. I will also very likely trade in my 6u rack for a 3u so I can move the Strategy to its own 3u rack while the other units would reside in the 4u rack, thus losing those three spare rack spaces.

• Members

El Grinder,

thats one hell of a nice simple killer rack. Very Metal :D, specially with the Warlock in the picture. Definitly nice

Now where can I hear clips?? :D

Thats what I am actully thinking of doing to my rack. Seperate them to 2 different racks for effects, preamp and conditioner and 2nd rack for powreamp.

Duke

• Members

I still don't have clips up. That's a work in progress. And with any really heavy power amp, it certainly helps to move it into its own rack. Plus that way you don't have to worry about tubes overheating the unit above it. Thanks for the compliments too btw.

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

No problem.

by the way.. I am not sure of this but how come you have a T-shirt (it looks like it) over the cabinet? unless you left it there to dry from the head from the poweramp
:D
??

Duke

Since it's a slanted cabinet, it's probably over the speakers to cut down on the brightness of the speakers when standing close.

• Members

Originally posted by Search4tone

Since it's a slanted cabinet, it's probably over the speakers to cut down on the brightness of the speakers when standing close.

Yup, exactly what Search4tone said. I have an old t-shirt draped over the cab to quiet down the top two speakers a touch, but you'll notice that the lower two speakers are uncovered. Besides, it looks cool. heh

• Members

Originally posted by El Grinder

Yup, exactly what Search4tone said. I have an old t-shirt draped over the cab to quiet down the top two speakers a touch, but you'll notice that the lower two speakers are uncovered. Besides, it looks cool. heh

Yep!! Thanks for the info guys.

There is a trick to that that my friend actully does to his Marshall Cab.

he puts Duckt tape infront of the top 2 speakers. Just like the Tshirt trick.. Check the picture here:

http://stonecore.tripod.com/gear/marshallcabs.jpg

Maybe that would help too and save you from bringing that t{censored} with you the whole thing. It might be even a better idea to use black tape so it blends with the cab front.

Duke

• Members

Yep!! Thanks for the info guys.

There is a trick to that that my friend actully does to his Marshall Cab.

he puts Duckt tape infront of the top 2 speakers. Just like the Tshirt trick.. Check the picture here:

Maybe that would help too and save you from bringing that t{censored} with you the whole thing. It might be even a better idea to use black tape so it blends with the cab front.

Duke

Sorry I forgot that Tripod wont let you hotlink pics. I put it in the attachment.

Duke

• Members

The old shirt is tacked onto the cabinet pretty well. It blends in and keeps the top half of the cabinet front from being so shiny as well. It kills the high-end in the top speakers just enough without making them sound muffled. The duct tape isn't a bad idea, but I'm pretty happy with the way my cabinet is now.

Oh, the other thing I forgot to list is that when I rewired and reloaded my cabinet, the casters were also replaced with industrial casters to support the increased weight from the heavier speakers.

• Members

The old shirt is tacked onto the cabinet pretty well. It blends in and keeps the top half of the cabinet front from being so shiny as well. It kills the high-end in the top speakers just enough without making them sound muffled. The duct tape isn't a bad idea, but I'm pretty happy with the way my cabinet is now.

Oh, the other thing I forgot to list is that when I rewired and reloaded my cabinet, the casters were also replaced with industrial casters to support the increased weight from the heavier speakers.

Oh.. you rewired your cabinet to?? and what speakers did you put in there??

Duke

• Members

don't humfrees create a connection where the screw passes through the rack unit face? all the mounting holes on my gear have a very small hole...barely larger in diameter than the screw and as a result, the gear sits on the screw. never knew how those things worked...

nice rig, by the way. in a local store, there was a bc rich with a woman's bikini'd ass airbrushed on the front. it was gone last time i checked, so apparently somebody bought it.

-jim

• Members

Oh.. you rewired your cabinet to?? and what speakers did you put in there??

The speaker cabinet is a Crate GS412S reloaded with Celestion G12H-80 ceramic magnet speakers and rewired with New Monster speaker cable.

Here're some reviews (including mine) of those speakers if you wanted to know more, Duke. http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/Celestion/G12H_80-01.html

• Members

Actually, Humfrees are a bitch to install and the nylon distorts too easily (from my experience, thus that is just my humble opinion). I cut off the bottom of the tabs and just use them like nylon washers (since I didn't want them to totally go to waste). The Triaxis is straight against the rack rails with the ground lifted since the chassis is connected to the Furman via the rack rails. If I move the units to a smaller pair of racks (as mentioned above), I'm just going to use plain nylon washers. Since the Strategy already had rack rash and those rack rails aren't touching the others, I keep it grounded.

Jim, the Humfrees have a sleeve that covers the screws, so you can actually get zero contact between the rack units and the rail, as long as the thin nylon on the bottom doesn't distort under the weight of the unit (which just isn't gonna happen unless you're using some very small rack units).

Yeah, B.C. Rich has some silly "body art" collection. They're all import guitars with cool paint jobs. I'm not particularly fond of them though. I don't think that the underlying guitars are anything spectacular.

I'm pretty sure that mine is a late 80's model, the paint was originally day-glo pink ha! (orange under a blacklight though). You can still see a little dash of pink by the big PS sticker. I have yet to actually trace the serial number to find the exact date or the factory it was made in though.

• Members

Here're some reviews (including mine) of those speakers if you wanted to know more, Duke.

Thanks for the link El Grinder.. I was actully thinking of getting a pair of those to see how they would sound against the Celestion 75s I have in my 2x12 cab.

Any idea how they would compare??

Duke

• Members

Thanks for the link El Grinder.. I was actully thinking of getting a pair of those to see how they would sound against the Celestion 75s I have in my 2x12 cab.

Any idea how they would compare??

Read the review by "Chuck". I think I mentioned how they compare to the G12T-75 somewhat in depth.

Originally posted by sonik777

Very nice rig man, simple and to the point. IM looking to do somthing like that myself.

Thanks, sonik.

• Members

Nice to finally see some pictures of your setup El Grinder...looks kickass!

I'll have to try that cab trick to cut down on the harshness on my ears.

A little OT, but have you gotten into any of the Vsig stuff yet for your 'Tide?

Amory

• Members

Na, I usually stick with Warm Shift, Dubbler, Mutron Phaser, Moon Solo or Long Stereo Delays. I tweaked a few of the factory settings, but those programs give me the sounds I want, so I haven't gotten into any external editing software yet.

Archived