my Xpression arrived yesterday.

• Members

didn't have too long to fiddle around but it seems like a really good bit of kit. its got some lovely sounding tremelo effects and cool delays too. the reverd/delay spillover thing looks like its gonna be real handy, i've never had that feature before. and i got the thing off ebay for about half the price they are new, six months old and it's MINT, like not even any sign of it being racked ever!

anyone else using one? what do you think?

also, does anyone have any suggestions for a light-weight power amp? i have a marshall 9200 at the moment and it weighs a frikkin ton. and it's way too much power for what i need. i wanna swap it for something about 50watts per channel.

• Members

Originally posted by JohnnyD

didn't have too long to fiddle around but it seems like a really good bit of kit. its got some lovely sounding tremelo effects and cool delays too. the reverd/delay spillover thing looks like its gonna be real handy, i've never had that feature before. and i got the thing off ebay for about half the price they are new, six months old and it's MINT, like not even any sign of it being racked ever!

anyone else using one? what do you think?

also, does anyone have any suggestions for a light-weight power amp? i have a marshall 9200 at the moment and it weighs a frikkin ton. and it's way too much power for what i need. i wanna swap it for something about 50watts per channel.

Mesa 20/20 is the way to go--and only one rack space, too! It has incredible tone and is a lot louder than you might think!! Me and my 20/20 have no trouble hanging with my other guitar player's 5150 combo!

Tell me more about the Expression when you fiddle with it a little more--I am still inbetween the G-Major and the Expression! Hopefully by the time I have the money, I'll have made the decision!

Mike

• Members

Originally posted by miker2c

Mesa 20/20 is the way to go--and only one rack space, too! It has incredible tone and is a lot louder than you might think!! Me and my 20/20 have no trouble hanging with my other guitar player's 5150 combo!

Tell me more about the Expression when you fiddle with it a little more--I am still inbetween the G-Major and the Expression! Hopefully by the time I have the money, I'll have made the decision!

Mike

is the mesa 20/20 valve or ss? i still wanna keep my marshall 4x12, would it be enough to power that nicely? one rack space sure sounds nicer than the 4 my 9200 is taking up now.

i'll let you know about the Xpression deffinately. i read through the manual and it can do a hell of a lot of stuff. i've never used any TC stuff though so i wouldn't be able to compare.

• Members

Originally posted by JohnnyD

is the mesa 20/20 valve or ss? i still wanna keep my marshall 4x12, would it be enough to power that nicely? one rack space sure sounds nicer than the 4 my 9200 is taking up now.

i'll let you know about the Xpression deffinately. i read through the manual and it can do a hell of a lot of stuff. i've never used any TC stuff though so i wouldn't be able to compare.

All valve--3 12ax7's and 4 EL84's--two per side, running about 22 watts per side, but that is Mesa power!! It is LOUD! You will not have any problem powering a 4x12. I run two 2x12's in stereo--BIG time sound! I love it.

Do a search on here for the 20/20, a lot of people here run one and one of the first things everyone says about it is how loud it is! But it is not just loud, it sounds GREAT!

The other cool thing about it is that it has line outs so if you get a bigger power amp in the future you can use the 20/20 as part of the preamp section, slaving it to the bigger poweramp. I haven't done that, but I imagine you could get some magnificient sounds pushing those little el84's to overdrive!!

Mike

• Members

Since you are in the UK, I would reccomend the Marshall EL84 20/20. Like the MESA it is LOUD for 20 watts and it has a deep switch on it, that adds some bottom to the tone. I've enjoyed mine for years. Price and availability are probably better for your location as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Irishjabs

The 20/20 is cool bit I prefer the 50/50. They are both loud enough but the 6L6's sound better to me then el84's. Your 9200 uses el34's doesn't it?

nah, it has 5881's in it. i really like the sound but it just weighs way too much!

i heard the marshall 20/20 has a few problems with reliability.

• Members

well, i've noticed a weird thing. i was setting up a patch to act like a whammy pedal. so i went through and turned all the fx off apart from the pitch shift, set up the continuous controller and linked it to the pitch parameter. then i saved the patch and it said "saved". but when i switch patches using my midi controller, and then come back to this one, the chorus switches itself on. and after a split second, the unit goes into bypass mode.

weird huh. i think that patch must have been set up by the guy before me to have some crazy stuff going on. i'm gonna try and reset everything to the factory settings and see what happens.

Archived