new preamp tubes

• Members

This is just a quick question regarding new preamp tubes. I bought a couple JJ 12AX7 tubes for my JMP-1 and I was wondering if I have to "break them in" any to get the best tone or if they're just good to go as soon as I put them in. The reason I ask is that I have a battle of the bands tomorrow and I'm expecting the tubes to be in the mail today.

• Members

quote from Stilwel:

3 on the rear panel

1 dead center on the lid

3 on each side holding the rack ears on (this requires a hex wrench)

i expect you must be forgetting the hex ones

and those are the only ones you need to take off btw.

good luck with your brand new, unrecognisable preamp!

• Members

Originally posted by guitar2326

Ok, I just replaced the tubes.... it seems like there was nothing really to worry about with that big screw. It was attached to something, but turning it really didnt do anything. Oh well. Thanks for the quick help guys.

What kind of tubes were in it? How do you like the sound with the new tubes? Did they make a difference? BTW, thanks for asking about opening the case, I was gonna have to ask shortly. :D

• Members

Originally posted by guitar2326

What is that large screw on the bottom for? I turned it quite a lot and nothing happened.... I hope I didnt screw something up...

Remember when you seen cartoons and they unscrewed 1 bolt and the whole thing fell apart...

• Members

Originally posted by Range Rat 7

What kind of tubes were in it? How do you like the sound with the new tubes? Did they make a difference? BTW, thanks for asking about opening the case, I was gonna have to ask shortly.
:D

The tubes inside were stock and I replaced them with JJ's. I havent quite tried them out extensively, but the bass did seem a little tighter maybe and it wasnt quite so harsh. Although, I kinda like that raw sound in my mids, overall it just got a little too piercing and harsh. The new tubes seemed to smooth it out a little. My main distortion channel is:

OD1

Volume: 17

Gain: 20

Bass: 4 (bass shift off)

Mids: 1

Highs: 4

Presence: 4

Call me crazy, but I love my mids :D . I'm getting new celestion speakers next week, so I think I'll really be able to comment on the tone then, because a lot that's wrong with my tone is my stock speakers in my crappy but cheap used Rogue 4x12 cabinet. They make my tone a little too harsh and the bass isnt really definined coming out of them, although there is lots of bass cause its oversized.

Originally posted by Longhair

Remember when you seen cartoons and they unscrewed 1 bolt and the whole thing fell apart...

Haha, yeah that's what I was afraid of. Good thing that's not what really happened.

Archived