rocktron 5 to 7 pin midi cable

• Members

I just got my 5 to 7 pin midi cable so I could phantom power my MIDI pedal, but I dont know how to use it! There's no instructions. I thought that it came with an adapter of some sort to plug in to your power conditioner or something, but all it is a little small cable coming from the 5 pin side. That's the side that goes in to my preamp, right? Then where does the smaller cable go to to get the power?

• Members

The 7-pin MIDI connector plugs into your MIDI controller.

The 5-pin connector plugs into your rack unit.

Your controllers power adapter plugs into the little pig-tail plug at the 5-pin end.

Hopefully your MIDI controller will accept a 7-pin cable.

stilwel

• Members

Yeah, I tried plugging in the adaptor in to that other plug and it didnt fit..... does that mean it wont work? That will suck if it doesnt. Because I know for a fact that my pedal will accept 7 pin phantom power, but that adaptor aint fitting. I just got a Godlyke power all too. Can I use one of the little cables that will fit for it? And does both the 5 and 7 pin ends have to be plugged in to each end and the preamp be on for it to send power? Or should it send power even if it's not plugged in to a 5 pin source? Sorry for the rash of newbiness I've been having today :(

• Members

Originally posted by guitar2326

Yeah, I tried plugging in the adaptor in to that other plug and it didnt fit..... does that mean it wont work? That will suck if it doesnt. Because I know for a fact that my pedal will accept 7 pin phantom power, but that adaptor aint fitting. I just got a Godlyke power all too. Can I use one of the little cables that will fit for it? And does both the 5 and 7 pin ends have to be plugged in to each end and the preamp be on for it to send power? Or should it send power even if it's not plugged in to a 5 pin source? Sorry for the rash of newbiness I've been having today
:(

It should work just like plugging the power into your controller.

The 5-pin preamp end need not be plugged in.

What MIDI pedal are you using?

..and are you using the original adapter for it?

If the adapter plug and the phantom pigtail on the cable don't match it should be easy to replace either of them so they match up.

stilwel

• Members

I am using a Rolls RFX MidiBuddy. And yes, it is the original power supply. What if I used the green cable from the Godlyke? It's the only one that fits, the reverse polarity jumper cord with the larger male barrel plug. I think I tried it already, but it didnt work. But maybe I did it wrong....

• Members

Ahhhh....

The RFX Midibuddy....

Unfortunately, this isn't going to work out for you. The Midibuddy is expecting power to be on pins 1 & 3 of the MIDI cable.

I don't think the Rocktron cable uses pins 1 & 3.

stilwel

• Members

I think Rocktron's size of connector is a little different than anyone else's.

I tried connecting my Ground Control power supply to the Phantom power on my Intellifex and it has the same problem.

You could always cut the ends off the connectors and hardwire the power supply. (That was my backup plan if it didn't fit :D )

• Members

I made a MIDI phantom power box of my own about a year ago.

See pic.

The power jack is ONLY connected to pins 1 & 3 of the MIDI IN jack.

Pins 2, 4 & 5 connect from MIDI IN to MIDI OUT directly.

It's like you're cutting your MIDI cable in half and injecting Power for you pedalboard back down half of it TOWARDS your controller.

stilwel

• Members

I've got an RFX Midi buddy ( phantom powered from an Intellifex )and I've modified it by adding an additional 7 pin Din socket and just soldering 'jump wires' accross from the origional Midi and power sockets.

It's very easy to do even though it may seem like ' using a sledghammer to crack a walnut' !

If you want further details send me a PM.

• Members

Thanks guys for all the help, and if I were going to keep the MidiBuddy, then I would try doing something like ya'll are suggesting. But since I'm just going to sell it and get a Ground Control Pro this summer, it's just a little too much work for something I'm not gonna use very long. I love the MidiBuddy for simple patch changes, but once I get a G-Major, I'm gonna need a lot more control. But again, thanks so much anyways.

Archived