Quad Preamps - Carvin vs Mesa

• Members

Interested in getting one of these preamps and I literally am torn between them......I wont be able to play either, so I have to buy online or ebay, etc....All I can do is tell any experienced users what I want to do and if either will do it....Any help is GREATLY appreciated....

Looking for a versatile unit, with an emphasis on vintage tones. Classic overdriven rock of the 70's...A'la Leslie West, AC/DC, Blackfoot, etc.....Some 80's rock, but limited in the need for the Recto blasting of modern rock -our tastes will lend to the Darkness and Jet as modern type tonalities...

I love the idea of 4 channels and I can get alot of info on the Carvin as to the setup and rear connection panel - but I am finding NOTHING on the Mesa....

I like the Carvin in the fact it has the option of both parallel & series effects loops - Dedicated Loop for each channel, switchable EQ (Great for Lead Boost) - Reverb Loop...This to me is KILLER.....Even the shared EQ on 2/3 is easily rectified by a dual 15 band EQ with the dedicated channel loops......Amazing...

I like the fact the Mesa is two unique voicings and both of those will lend themselves very nicely to the type of tonality I am shooting for....But I cant gather much about the flexibilty....What kind of effect loop (series/parallel).....How can I boost leads?...etc, etc

Lastly - how much more will a Mesa Quad cost compared to a Carvin? Looks to me maybe $50 or so and that is neglible and wouldnt be a factor....

Any help would be great....Thanks...

• Members

it may not serve you well to ask other people which one THEY think you should buy. Both are great, but you should really buy one of each and re-sell the one you love the least.

I have the Carvin, they sell for a mere $250-300, and I cannot believe the value and quality of this pre-amp.

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by mikeSF

it may not serve you well to ask other people which one THEY think you should buy. Both are great, but you should really buy one of each and re-sell the one you love the least.

I have the Carvin, they sell for a mere $250-300, and I cannot believe the value and quality of this pre-amp.

Good luck!

Of course that is excellent and reasonable advice...

Thanks....

• Members

The Mesa Quad is an excellent piece of gear. It has a series effects loop. I am not sure you will get a Marshall tone out of it but it is sure full of old school classic rock and 80's tones. You can get a boost by using the EQ's as a boost function. The Mesa will run around $50-$100 more depending on the condition and age of the tubes.

Archived