ADA MP-1 users...fx loop question

• Members

I've had an mp-1 for some time that's fx loop was not working due to a 1/4" jack that wasn't working right.Anyway I got the jack to work now(I think).It passes signal to my fx now atleast,but the ?? is this.I notice when I activate the loop my tone is way differant than w/out the loop activated.I just put a boss delay in the loop to see if it would work & I've used the pedal in other amp loop's w/ out this occuring so I'm pretty sure the pedal alone is not the problem.Is this common to these pre's or is mine still messed up?Thanks Smitty

• Members

sounds like your signal path is still compromised. are you sure the broken jack is working completely...or just a little?

Can't speak for the MP-1, but an effects loop should be transparent.

wait, you are using a pedal in the loop? depending on the signal level of the loop, that may be your problem. some loops work with line level devices, others with instrument devices. check the manual.

• Members
Originally posted by mikeSF

sounds like your signal path is still compromised. are you sure the broken jack is working completely...or just a little?

Can't speak for the MP-1, but an effects loop should be transparent.

wait, you are using a pedal in the loop? depending on the signal level of the loop, that may be your problem. some loops work with line level devices, others with instrument devices. check the manual.

Well,..no I'm not sure the jack is working correctly.I tried messing w/ the level control on the mp-1 to see if that would make any differance & it didn't seem too.Seems like the jack could still be the culprit.

• Members
Originally posted by Duke of Metal

Reason that happenes to your sound is because of impedance missmatch. If you want to fix that, you need to change the OPamp for the effects loop and it'll fix that problem.

Check
www.adadepot.com
's message board. I remember seeing some topics about the effects loop mod, which is changing the opamp.

good luck,

Duke

Thanks Duke.

• Members

Originally posted by whammy boy67

Yeah I find the effects loop on it changes the tone heavily and doesn't seem to like Boss pedals. All that's in my loop is a Rocktron HUSH and a Digitech Whammy which is seems to deal with fine. Good luck!

- Erich

Reason being it doesnt seem to work with boss pedals is because they are buffered. They have a buffer in them that changes the impedance of the singal, which makes the sound/tone different.

It might not be different with units like the Hush because the impedance is matched.

Dont mix pedals and rack units in the loop, keep it either rack units or pedal only.

I have the loop on my MP-1 modded and I've used the ADA MQ-1 EQ in there somtimes and it sounded excellent, I've also tried a pedal (Boss RV-3) in there and it also worked good.

I believe the mod is only 1 component change.. thats it :)

Duke

• Members

Reason being it doesnt seem to work with boss pedals is because they are buffered. They have a buffer in them that changes the impedance of the singal, which makes the sound/tone different.

It might not be different with units like the Hush because the impedance is matched.

Dont mix pedals and rack units in the loop, keep it either rack units or pedal only.

I have the loop on my MP-1 modded and I've used the ADA MQ-1 EQ in there somtimes and it sounded excellent, I've also tried a pedal (Boss RV-3) in there and it also worked good.

I believe the mod is only 1 component change.. thats it
:)

Duke

Excellant info & much appreciated.I'm thinking for now I'll just run from the output of the ada into my gt-3 w/ the mp-1 set to inst. level then into my pwr. amp.

• Members

Originally posted by smitty0069

Excellant info & much appreciated.I'm thinking for now I'll just run from the output of the ada into my gt-3 w/ the mp-1 set to inst. level then into my pwr. amp.

No Problem at all.

by the way..If i can re-call properly, I think there was a person on the adadepot board who had the same setup like you (MP-1 and GT-3) and he was complianing about how his tone wasnt all that and then finally realized it was the GT-3 coloring his tone and he didnt like it. But its a personal prefrence of sound, so check it out and see what you think.

What powermp are you going to use??

Also, you should be able to use the Boss GT-3 as a midi controller if i recall properly it has a midi in/midi out jack. So you can use the Midi out into your MP-1's midi in and thats your midi controller and effects processor right there.

good luck,

Duke

• Members

No Problem at all.

by the way..If i can re-call properly, I think there was a person on the adadepot board who had the same setup like you (MP-1 and GT-3) and he was complianing about how his tone wasnt all that and then finally realized it was the GT-3 coloring his tone and he didnt like it. But its a personal prefrence of sound, so check it out and see what you think.

What powermp are you going to use??

Also, you should be able to use the Boss GT-3 as a midi controller if i recall properly it has a midi in/midi out jack. So you can use the Midi out into your MP-1's midi in and thats your midi controller and effects processor right there.

good luck,

Duke

Well I've tried the gt-3 in the 4-cable hook-up & in front of various amps & pre's & also even used the modeling at times w/ marginal success,but never directly after the pre like this.

In almost every scenario I've noticed the gt-3 being very digital(not good IMO.).I'm hoping using the gt-3 after the ada's output just for it's fx will prove to work better w/ that until I settle on a better unit.To be honest I'm much more for just cranking a Marshall(I've got three) w/ no extra's & going for it,but the cover band thing requires alot of versatility.

The gt-3 just kinda hangs around because it does so many things & my intentions were to use it for the midi as well as the fx.

The power amp will be the loop return of a jcm900 loaded w/ jj e34l's.

I went to the prac. place last night & hooked it up like this.The first thing I noticed is that the noise gate of the gt-3 does nothing for the ada in this setup.??I couldn't crank it to see how it would all sound because it's the upstairs of a business,but I'm gonna head out early for prac. today & see what I can do & see how I like it at prac. volumes.I'll post back once I've done that.Thanks again,Smitty

• Members

Well the ada/gt-3 combination just doesn't seem to be working out.I ended up running the gt-3 in the loop of the 900 & it sounded alot better.

I plugged into the front of the 900 which I hadn't done in years & just used it for my tone.Wasn't nearly as versatile,but did sound better than the ada.I know the 900's aren't well thought of but it sounded pretty damn good w/ my blackbacks/vin.30 loaded 4x12's.

For what ever reason the gt-3 just changes the tone of the ada,but didn't have that effect on the 900.

It was actually kinda refreshing to work for tones w/ just a couple of sounds to play with.

Anyway,..thanks for the help & ideas fellas,Smitty

• Members

Here is somthing you can try.. if your MP-1 has the top switch, then change it to instrument level, and then plug the MP-1 into the input of the JCM900 and then put the GT-3 in the loop of the JCM900 and see how it sounds.

As long as you change your MP-1's top switch to Instrument level, its totally safe to plug it into the input of the JCM900.

Let me know how it works.

Also, if the GT-3 changed the tone of the MP-1 when you put it after, it could also be an output/input impedance level missmatch. I assume you went:

Guitar

MP-1 input

MP-1 Output

GT-3 Input

GT-3 Output

JCM900..

If thats what you did and didnt switch the top switch of the MP-1 to instrument, then that could be your problem right there.

Duke

• Members

Here is somthing you can try.. if your MP-1 has the top switch, then change it to instrument level, and then plug the MP-1 into the input of the JCM900 and then put the GT-3 in the loop of the JCM900 and see how it sounds.

As long as you change your MP-1's top switch to Instrument level, its totally safe to plug it into the input of the JCM900.

Let me know how it works.

Also, if the GT-3 changed the tone of the MP-1 when you put it after, it could also be an output/input impedance level missmatch. I assume you went:

Guitar

MP-1 input

MP-1 Output

GT-3 Input

GT-3 Output

JCM900..

If thats what you did and didnt switch the top switch of the MP-1 to instrument, then that could be your problem right there.

Duke

Sometimes people say something so obvious that it can make you feel stupid,.......like now.

Yeah I've got the switch on mine & as a matter of fact I run the ada into the front of a Sovtek mig occasionally & it sounds real nice,but the mig doesn't have a loop & it always messed up the tone of the ada w/ the gt-3.

Not sure why I never considered running the 900 in this manner.

Yeah I had the ada hooked up as you described & the switch is set to instr. level.I'm gonna have to give this a shot as well.Thanks again Duke & I'll let ya know how it works out.

• Members

Originally posted by smitty0069

Sometimes people say something so obvious that it can make you feel stupid,.......like now.

Yeah I've got the switch on mine & as a matter of fact I run the ada into the front of a Sovtek mig occasionally & it sounds real nice,but the mig doesn't have a loop & it always messed up the tone of the ada w/ the gt-3.

Not sure why I never considered running the 900 in this manner.

Yeah I had the ada hooked up as you described & the switch is set to instr. level.I'm gonna have to give this a shot as well.Thanks again Duke & I'll let ya know how it works out.

If you listen to any of the old Testament cds like Practice What You Preach, The Ritual, Souls of Black.. and couple others, Alex Skolnick's setup is:

Signature Ibanez

ADA MP-1

JCM900 Input

Marshall Cabinets

Ofcourse he had some effects but he said it him self that that was his main setup.

Duke

Archived