G-major oddity...

• Members

i've noticed a bit of an oddity with my g-major. my main heavy sound is a dry preset, programed that i can turn on delay or pitch if i so desire. the strange thing is, pitch by itself is great, delay by itself is great, both together is great, but if i've had both on at the same time, and then turn off the delay, leaving the pitch on, the pitch isn't really there anymore either...weird. does anyone have any thoughts on how to remedy this?

• Members

I noticed that too during the very short time I was able to borrow one. That unit has some weird issues for sure. If you use it straight up like Ocnor suggested you should be fine. I think that the G-Major is a complete piece of junk. Its fancy display is its only cool feature... and it isn't even that cool. MPX-1 is a much better piece.

• Members

Originally posted by ocnor

Why don't you just set up some extra patches and switch between them instead?

that would certainly work, but it kind of defeats the purpose of how i have my rig configured. with the gc pro, in the four preset mode, i'd have to eat up an entire bank for all the options available (ie-1 for dry, 1 for delay only, 1 for pitch only, and 1 for pitch+ delay). as it is now, i can use it like individual stomp boxes, adding and subtracting fx from a base sound...having different patches in 4 preset mode would just increase the tap dancing i'd have to do (and that i'm trying to avoid with a processor/midi controller combo) and i can't really use the 10 preset/bank mode as this would take away my tap tempo and tuner mute options. there's a workaround, i can just hit the preset button and the patch resets and the pitch is fine, but i thought maybe there was a way to fix it.

i actually really like the g-major, i think its by far the best box in its price range, and gives me all the sounds and flexibility that i need. there are a few little bits of weirdness, but that's fairly true with any bit of processing gear...

• Members

Originally posted by tuvokzeta9

I noticed that too during the very short time I was able to borrow one. That unit has some weird issues for sure. If you use it straight up like Ocnor suggested you should be fine. I think that the G-Major is a complete piece of junk. Its fancy display is its only cool feature... and it isn't even that cool. MPX-1 is a much better piece.

I don`t know if I would go as far as calling it junk Tuv, but depending on how you look at at it may not be that far from it.

A good used MPX-1 is a far better piece. Sounds much better and has more processing power.

It also is warmer sounding and built with better quality. I`d take it any day over the gmajor!!!

TC`s better stuff is the 2290, 1210, M2000, M3000 and on up. Now those are some serious boxes.

The dtwo gets an honorable mention in my book. Also the gforce is at a different level than the gmajor.

Tom

• Members

Yeah calling it junk is kinda harsh... but I think TC could have done a much better job with it in general. The MPX-1 I like better than the G-Force too. The M-3000 is my favorite TC piece. I don't know how TC is going to do in the long run. I think Eventide and Lexicon just kill them dead. For the 1400 I could spend on the M-3000 I could spend a little more and get an Eclipse.

Archived