Transparent MFX units ?

• Members

I just received the Yamaha Magic Stomp unit. I was planning to use it for two purposes: 1. Direct Recording 2. as the main MFX unit in my rig.

The good news - For direct recording it is an amazing unit, the best I came across certainly at this price.

The bad news - When used in my rig, it add coloration to the sound. I know all MFX do that but the coloration level makes it unusable at least for me.

I know I can use an external loop to bypass the unit when not activated. However this won't solve the coloration in effects that mixes the dry and wet signals like Delay.

I'm considering using a small mixer which will externally mix between the processed (wet) and unprocessed (dry) signals. It will be like having a Parallel Loop.

-- Will it work?

(I'm expecting problems due to the delay between the dry and the wet signals).

-- Can you recommend a small stereo mixer with bypass footswitch?

-- What is the most transparent MFX unit under $500 ?

Thanks

Hektor

• Members

I'm surprised nobody else has replied to this yet.

I've been messing around with the Magic Stomp, and one thing I definitely noticed is that the Stomp controls the volume even when the effect is 'off'. I can't say I've noticed the tone has changed, but it does make me wonder.

Anyway, did you check www.loooper.com?

-- Joe

• Members

Hi, Thanks for responding.

Yes the magic stomp does control the volume even when in bypass. As far as I can tell it sounds like it doesn't have a true bypass (of course) nor an analog bypass.

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware of it. I can't find exactly what I need but I'm currently checking there custom offerings.

Anyone with experience with parallel loops ?

Hektor

Archived