Ground COntrol vs. MIDI Xchange

• Members

The Midi Xchange is a cool little pedal but it's not going to to a fraction of what you can do with a Ground Control or similar pedal. The ability to send program messages on separate channels will be a big help with your multi-processor rig as they all don't have to change presets as with the Xchange. Also the instant access buttons of the Ground Control are wonderful to have. Considering you can get an Ground Control for about $150 used, how can you pass it up.

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

The Midi Xchange is a cool little pedal but it's not going to to a fraction of what you can do with a Ground Control or similar pedal. The ability to send program messages on separate channels will be a big help with your multi-processor rig as they all don't have to change presets as with the Xchange. Also the instant access buttons of the Ground Control are wonderful to have. Considering you can get an Ground Control for about $150 used, how can you pass it up.

yeah. . how does program messages work, all i really do with my other pedal is change programs, what can i do with the DMC. Also what is the phantom power capabilities of the DMC.

• Members

Originally posted by bobvex

yeah. . how does program messages work, all i really do with my other pedal is change programs, what can i do with the DMC. Also what is the phantom power capabilities of the DMC.

You have PC's (Program Changes) this is what tells your device to go from say preset #1 to say preset #6

Then you have CC's (Control Changes) these are used for toggling things ON/OFF. Maybe you are in a preset and the only thing you want to change is turning off the delay. You can use a CC to make that change vs changeing to an identical patch that does not have delay turned on.

All versions of the DMC can have Phantom Power which makes it so you can plug your power supply for the pedal, not near the pedal. Instead you plug your power into a unit in the rack that has phantom power or use a specaial MIDI cable that can access Phantom power.

The benifit is that you only have a single MIDI cable going to the floorboard and power is ran inside with the other signals.

Nice and clean.

• Members

Originally posted by EVH Wolfgang

You have PC's (Program Changes) this is what tells your device to go from say preset #1 to say preset #6

Then you have CC's (Control Changes) these are used for toggling things ON/OFF. Maybe you are in a preset and the only thing you want to change is turning off the delay. You can use a CC to make that change vs changeing to an identical patch that does not have delay turned on.

what if i setup my patches so that only one effect is really used at a time, like delay only, or chorus only, im not big on effects but when i do use them i dont keep my signal sopping wet either. i usually use eith the effects of the POD Pro or the Rocktron, not usually both at the same time. theres tap delay on the POD, and im wondering if the DMC can be used to dial up a tap speed setting on the Rocktron. i suppose i want more versatility then the Xchange, but less complication then the Behringer FCB1010.

All versions of the DMC can have Phantom Power which makes it so you can plug your power supply for the pedal, not near the pedal. Instead you plug your power into a unit in the rack that has phantom power or use a specaial MIDI cable that can access Phantom power.

The benifit is that you only have a single MIDI cable going to the floorboard and power is ran inside with the other signals.

Nice and clean.

yeah i know how it works, and its a 7 in MIDI cable for the rocktron, is it the same idea fo the DMC?

• Members

one thing to add maybe - i have 160 patches on the rocktron, 80 user and 80 preset. is it a wise idea to desing Control change patches versus nearly identical patches right next to each other?

i also use a bybass patch as my startup. the unit is not bypassed in the sence of pushing the bypass button, but i just have it set so that the effects present have no effet on volume, pitch, or reverb/delay. i think its a good idea, so that i dont have to reach around and push bypass everythime i want to turn everything off.

with the Xchange, i can scroll though presets pretty fast if i hold the up/down button down. when i get to what i want, i hit the recall button, activating the effects. if i want to go BACK to the one i was just at, all i have to do is hit recall again. i guess its a memory recall thing. . .

• Members

Yes, the Phantom power is identical for Rocktron/DMC products.

As for how to control, it's up to you if you like having lots of presets or lots of buttons setup to to do CC's and work with only a few basic sounds to start with.

I started off with doing it all by presets, but that was when I didn't have control of CC's with my floorboard.

Now that I own one that can, I go the CC route.

• Members

Yes, the Phantom power is identical for Rocktron/DMC products.

As for how to control, it's up to you if you like having lots of presets or lots of buttons setup to to do CC's and work with only a few basic sounds to start with.

I started off with doing it all by presets, but that was when I didn't have control of CC's with my floorboard.

Now that I own one that can, I go the CC route.

very cool. . looks like im at least n the market for one now.

• Members

I'm just going to toss in that I'm looking in-depth at getting a Rocktron MIDI Mate. If you're going to be using the Rocktron Xpression effects unit, you might get some more off-the-bat compatability bonuses off of something like the MIDI Mate.

• Members

Actually there are no compatability issues with the Ground Control and the Xpression at all. I have a GC and in my rig I am using the earlier version of the Xpression, the Multivalve, as well as an Intellifex and an Intelliverb and a Korg DL8000R delay and there are no problems controlling them with the Ground Control at all. The Ground Control is still a more powerful unit than the Midimate. Go for it.

• Members

I didn't mean to imply that there were any compatability issues with the GC as there are none that I've heard of. However, patch names etc, are automatically sent from the xpression to the MIDI Mate, so it might make knowing where you are patch-wise a bit easier.

Archived