Hum

• Members

hi there - i'm experiencing some low frequency hum from my rack. i reckon it's mains 50Hz hum...probably caused by one or more "wall wart" power supplies that are feeding the pedal board and some of the fx

i'm running everything from a single socket that's feeding 3 multiplug adaptors - one in the small rack and two in the large rack so it's definitely not a ground loop

i was wondering if there are good tips for getting rid of it...

keeping the mains cables and the audio cables separate seems like a good idea, but it's not completely possible and i don't really want to have to splash out on a power conditioner / power distributor...

would putting all the wall warts in the same multiplug make any difference?

bit of a stupid question i know, but the noise is driving me nuts!

cheers!

sim

• Members

I would definately get a filtered power conditioner.

If all your rack pieces and pedals are connected, you only need one ground for the entire system. All the units will be grounded via the audio plugs, unless you are running ground lift cables.

What is your complete setup?

Also, how is it wired?

Steve

• Members

yup - everything runs from a single plug - so there is only one ground for the whole system - it breaks down like this...

small rack - mesa 20/20, triaxis, g-force, mam mixer - all powered from a multiplug adaptor which is in turn powered from a multiplug adaptor in the big rack. triaxis goes into the mixer (with the outputs from a vg-88 and outputs from the repeater in the big rack) - all unblanaced cables. the mixer feeds the g-force which feeds the big rack

big rack - balanced cables from the g-force (terminating in xlr's) feed an eventide h3000 which goes into a passive splitter. this sends audio to two tc d2's and the electrix repeater. the outputs of all of those go into another mixer which feeds the power amp.

the back of the big rack is a complete mess - many of the audio leads are much too long, but the power cables are kept as short as possible. there are two multiplug adaptors in there with wall warts for the pedal board, the mixer, an electro harmonix microsynth - my god, i can't believe it's as quiet as it is!

a filtered power distributor sounds like a good bet - i have one rack space free in the big rack, but i'm not keen on making too many connections between the two racks, as it makes setup time-consuming and complicated.

so why have i got two racks? cos i don't need all the looping stuff and the eventide for many of the gigs i do - so i just take the 4u rack with pre, power and g-force and thats enough....i probably wouldn't be able to pick up a 12u rack on my own and i certainly wouldn't be able to carry it up any stairs..!

nightmare....

:(

edit: just had a look on the web at power conditioners - i was trying to find one that has several 3-pin connectors for gear that would normally have a plug on it and also has several connectors with adjustable voltage / polarity for stuff that normally has wall warts - so you can ditch the wall wart altogether - but i can't find one - i've seen these before, but i can't remember who makes them - anybody....?

• Members

Originally posted by El Grinder

Here's the Juice Goose 12 pac
http://www.juicegoose.com/12paq.htm
to get rid of the wall warts and still offer some power conditioning for your normal plugs...

that's exactly what i'm looking for, but i don't think they make it for the UK market...

:(

anybody know of something similar for UK voltages?

sim

• Members

Sim,

you might wanna take a look at this; MPA-450 4-way Multi-adapter . I use one myself. It's quite big at 2u, but not too deep. Failing that you'd probably be best looking at having a custom supply built.

I looked into the 12paq a while back and the DAP was the only thing that was remotely similar that I could find. However, Juice Goose did tell me that if I was prepared to order 100 units that they would be prepared to build a European version!! :eek:

Mikey

• Members

Hey Sim, if I were in your position I'd pay close attention to the AC Adapters you have. Those things can be a huge source of noise. What I'd do is recreate the problem. Keep the guitar in one spot... don't wear it... and then try moving things around... adapters and all that stuff... you may get some leads as to where the nosie is emanating from. I'd bet cash money its one or more AC Adapters. Good Luck!

Archived