rack multi effects

• Members

Allrighty guys! Just entered the rack club with a Randall RM4 preamp and RT2/50 poweramp (into a 2x12 Randall NXT celestion neodnyium loaded cabinet). I am thinking about going to a midi switchable rack multi effects unit. I know about the Gmajor but are there any cheap, tonally transparent older units that will get the job done well? Right now I use all stomp boxes. What do you suggest, stay with the stomps, go gmajor, go with brand XX?

~Kurt

• Members

I can't recommend the G-Major anymore. It has a very bad service record. The two biggest problems are that the control knobs fail at an alarming rate and many units experience a spontanious system shutdown. According to the Yahoo users group, over 23% of their users have had their G-Majors freeze up and refuse to operate. TC has not recalled the units and doesn't seem to know what the problem is. Anytime a company has a 2% defective rate, the product is called a lemon. We are talking about 23% defective in the case of the G-Major.

I'd look into the Rocktron Xpression. It's very comparable to the G-Major, cheaper and has a stellar service record. I have one and like it very much. Better than our other guitarists G-Major which has been frozen for the last month.

• Members

Right on! the Randall RM4 RT2/50 is just a GREAT unit! I'm running mine into a 4x12 with Tonkers at the moment. But I'm about to build another 4x12 & load it with V30's. How do you like those speakers? Century's? I'd like to try them.

In case you're interested, I've got the Lexicon MPX-G2 in my sig. I'm simple, it's more than I wanna mess with. ;)

Archived