Can Anyone Help Me Into a MIDI Controller and Rack Effects??

• Members

Hey guys,

I've never setup a rack before and I'm looking to move that way, but I'm not sure I'm finding the best tools for the job.

The first thing I ran across was the Lexicon MPX G2 and R1, which looked ideal for my situation until I started reading about the R1's switches going out and switching delays/probs on the G2.

I like the option on the Rocktron All Access where you could setup different rows of switches to switch presets, and other rows to send CC messages to turn effects on and off in presets or send tap tempos and the like. But, it obviously seems like overkill for me right now, I'm just looking to replace some of my pedals with a rack unit or units, but not tons of presets.

IE: I'm only gonna need right now about 5-6 presets if I can set some other switches to send CC messages to turn different effects on/off. Most of what I'm needing right now are different delay settings.... What I've come up with, with my limited understanding of the whole thing, is that I could basically setup all the delay presets I wanted with a phaser or what not, but with the phaser turned off... Then, if I wanted to add the phaser to the sound, I could just use the assigned CC pedal to turn it on in addition to the delay.

I'm also trying to fit everything on my pedal board instead of having spill off that I have to setup additionally. So size of most controllers that I've seen are just a little big and overpowered for my current situation since I'm only needing about 5-6 presets.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know it's all pretty broad, I'm sorry, but I just don't know which direction to go with all this.

Thanks for your time.

• Members

The preset lag of the MPX1G2 can be dealt with if you plan your preset changes or better if you use CC's to turn on and off things within the preset. You don't need an All Access to do that though. You can do that with an old Ground Control pedal. When you use "Bank 4" mode you have 4 presets and 6 instant access buttons. You can program the instant buttons to be on/off for whatever effect in the G2 that you want. I have a Ground Control and use it this way and it works great.

• Members

Originally posted by Flat Fifth Fury

The preset lag of the MPX1G2 can be dealt with if you plan your preset changes or better if you use CC's to turn on and off things within the preset. You don't need an All Access to do that though. You can do that with an old Ground Control pedal. When you use "Bank 4" mode you have 4 presets and 6 instant access buttons. You can program the instant buttons to be on/off for whatever effect in the G2 that you want. I have a Ground Control and use it this way and it works great.

Awesome man, thanks for the help.

How wide are those older Ground Controls? Thanks again.

Archived