Triaxis through a SS power amp?

keithb

• Members

I've decided to update my rig, so I'm looking for a new amp. I was originally going to go with a Mesa Nomad combo, but then I realized I could get a Triaxis for about the same price. Does anyone run a Triaxis through a solid state power amp? I have a Mosvalve 1160 that I'd like to use, since a Mesa 2:90 is a bit over budget right now.

• Members

i have a triaxis and you couldn't pay me enough to use it through a solid state power amp. have a look at the mesa 20/20 - much cheaper and lighter than the 2/90, sounds amazing and much much louder than you think it would be!

sim

• Members

The only problem that I see being an issue is the TriAxis likes to have fairly low output levels (around 2-3 ), so getting your overall volume up the poweramp will need to be driven abit more and typically SS amps when driven to their peak levels start to sound trashy where a tube amp will compress and sound warmer. If you can get it to sound good at the levels you need to have then :cool:

-Robert

• Members

I've run my TriAxis into a Rocktron Velocity 120 for over 9 mos now for gigs and have had no complaints. I just bought a 2:90 and will use it on my next gig in Feb. I did NOT buy the 2:90 because I thought my SS amp was lacking but, because the GC by me had the Mesa on clearance so I bought it new for a used price. Otherwise, I'd still be using the Rocktron. You'll be fine with the MosValve IMHO.

Archived