Rocktron Pro Q opinions

• Members

I have had a few over the years. It is great for what it is, but I no longer need it.

It is like what a sonic maximizer should be to put it simply. You have great frequency control and many options. It can completely alter your sound or be very subtle.

I highly recommend it to people in need of a good programmable EQ.

Steve

• Members

Thanks again for the replies, it looks like a decent peice of gear. I may not need it as much as I think I do but what the hell, I'll give it shot at least. I'm planning on getting a couple of new speakers and that move right there might negate the need for extra eq. We'll see.

• Members

This unit does have a wall wart power supply so perhaps people that experienced the noise problems had the supply too close to the signal chain, maybe?

It seems a few people also complained about the noise gate in the Q, saying it doesn't close quick enough. I can't wait til I get mine to see if that's true or not. Of course, that problem could be blamable on user setting errors too.

• Members

For any of you guys still following, I got the pro Q today and I'm happy to report its exceeded my expectations. I was very surprised with the difference this thing made. It's pretty much made my rockmaster nail the sound I was looking for and that's just using the presets right off the bat. And I'm not having any nose problems btw. Not a gimmick peice of gear at all, I'm digging the sound.

However, I really think I need a new speaker cause I try to crank the amp up and I get all this damn popping and cracking until I back WAY off on the high frequencies. I've had this problem before with running other gear into this speaker, I just thought it was the other gear until now. I seem to need to jack the hi's and presence up to make the speaker sound good at low volume but it won't take anywhere near these frequencies in 'loud' mode without getting the popping noises. If I back off on the hi's when I turn it up, it sounds fair but like a friend of mine said the other day, it sounded like my tone was loosing defintion.

I realize different levels of volume require different eq settings but what I'm saying is I seem to need more and more high freq to make this thing sound good. Bad speaker? Does it sound like I would benifit from using full range speakers?

Archived