What are the tone diffs between a rack preamp/power vs a real head

• Members

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Just wondering as I have been toying with the idea of going with a nice tube preamp and a VHT 2-50-2 to retire my current amp setup. I really like the thick chocolate tone that Dean Deleo from the Stone Temple Pilots gets from his Demeter TGA-3 pre and VHT 2-50-2.

So going with a seperate pre and power amp in a rack what are the advantages tone wise? I know the VHT is still in production but the Demeter is not. What are some other nice preamps that I should be checking out?

Thanks in advance...

• Members

I personally find rack gear to give you more tonal options. Reason being is because you can mix and match different preamps with different poweramps.

So like a Mesa preamp with a Marshall poweramp.. or a Mesa preamp with a peavey poweramp.. the combinations go on. with that, you get different tone options. Also, you can get more sounds with rack gear, specially if you go with programmable preamps like the ADA MP-1, Mesa Triaxis, Marshall JMP-1, etc..

With amp heads/combos your sorta limited to only what ever sounds they provide through the limited number of channels. So if an amp has 2 channels (Clean and Lead). You can probebly get max 3 sounds. Clean, Lead and crunch, which can be achieved by lowering the volume knob on your guitar when using the lead channel.

People tend to say rack gear dont sound nearly as good as an actual head. I cant comfirm that as I dont use an amp head. Even the amp heads i used didnt sound as good as I get my rack to sound. and I've tried alot of different amps from Marshall, Mesa, Peavey to VHT. But again, its a personal tone prefrence and choice.

Hope that helps,

Duke

Archived