3 preamps, one power amp, one cab.... is this possible?

• Members

I posted and deleted a thread a couple days about 2 preamps... I thought I had figured it out.... now I have a third preamp coming and would like to (if possible) run all 3 with my 2/50/2.

Can you do it? If so, what do I need and how do I set it up?

My goal would be to be able to switch between my rack and my UL with the Whiurlwind switcher I have, then utulizing I don't know what, be able to switch between 3 preamps into the 2/50/2.

Am I asking for the impossible? Is this a common practice? I don't know:confused:

BTW... I am posting this in the amp forum too.

Thanks for your help!

Tony

• Members

One way to do it would involve the use of a switcher, like the DMC GCX. You could have the preamps in the loop/s (like you would efx/pedals). Choose which preamp to play through by calling up the particular loop.

• Members

Originally posted by ubersam

One way to do it would involve the use of a switcher, like the DMC GCX. You could have the preamps in the loop/s (like you would efx/pedals). Choose which preamp to play through by calling up the particular loop.

Thanks.... is there a footswitchable way to use it? THis sounds like just what I am looking for:)

• Members

Originally posted by mctallica1

Thanks.... is there a footswitchable way to use it? THis sounds like just what I am looking for:)

Definitely. Well, the footswitch will be in the form of a midi foot controller (like the Ground Control Pro) which you could also use to control the preamps (if the preamps are midi-controlled).

The Axess switcher a good choice. For your application I'd pick a GRX4 switcher and a MFC5 midi controller. Check em out at the site link Thunderchord posted (Check with Mario/Axess to verify that the GRX4 can handle preamp/line level signals). That combo would run you $450.00, that's about $50.00 less than the price of a DMC GCX alone.

Another option would be and Axess RX1/FX1 combo. It's more than what you need now but you'd be pretty future-proof should your rig grow bigger.

Yet another option, a SoundSculpture Switchblade - Check it out Not only will you be able to choose which preamp to play through, you have can play through all 3 at once into the same amp, or chain your preamps one after the other. You'll need a midi controller with this as well. This is another "more than what you need now but it's pretty future-proof".

Archived