Help me choose a preamp.

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

What is a good quality tube preamp, that won't cost a fortune (even if that means getting one used) that is somewhat versatile.

I play MOSTLY rock, sometimes metal, sometimes blues..

• Members

If you're into the Mesa sound, check out the Quad or the Studio, they'll cost less than a used Triaxis.

Or, if you're into the Engl sound, check out the 530. It's $479.00 brand new. Check with rocksolidamps.com

If you're digging the Marshall tone, there's the JMP1.

• Members

Check out the Peavey Rockmaster. It is not bad in STOCK form, but it really smokes after FJA mods it. Normally you can get a used one and have it modded for around 3 bills. Check out FJAmods website for some sound clips.

It is a 4 tube preamp, 3 channels (clean, crunch, ultra) with high gain switches on the crunch and ultra, so it is "almost" like having 5 channels, and it has a ton of FX loops. It also has a mid shift for the crunch and ultra channels. the eq is very sensitive and covers a broad range of tones.

• Members

Originally posted by 1923ford

Check out the Peavey Rockmaster. It is not bad in STOCK form, but it really smokes after FJA mods it. Normally you can get a used one and have it modded for around 3 bills. Check out FJAmods website for some sound clips.

It is a 4 tube preamp, 3 channels (clean, crunch, ultra) with high gain switches on the crunch and ultra, so it is "almost" like having 5 channels, and it has a ton of FX loops. It also has a mid shift for the crunch and ultra channels. the eq is very sensitive and covers a broad range of tones.

Has any tried getting their rockmaster modded by Voodoo amps? I've heard great things about Voodoo amps...

• Members

Originally posted by ChS

Also look into a
, I have one and think it smokes for general rock, and has enough gain for metal which is what my band is. All tube, 4 channels (2 clean, 1 crunch, 1 lead) and all with individual effects loops.

The Quad-X lead channel sucks for single-coils, so beware...it'll sound buzzy. If you have humbuckers for lead, and a strat or tele for the clean channels, it'll be great for you.

Look into the ADA MP-1 preamp. ABout $150 used. Was the mound of metallica's Master of Puppets album, and Smashing Pumpkins Gish album.

Archived