Best High Gain Jmp1 Valve?

• Members

Hey, I just got a JMP1 plus Marshall El34 100/100 and absolutley love it

It has a lot of great low end chunk, but I could do with a tad more gain in it.

Althought favourite bands are Tool mainly..

I like the kind of brutal high gain crunch bands like System of a Down have..

If anyone has any ideas for some more saturation, retaining definition and chunk would be good tho, then let me know!

Thanks, Alex

• Members

crank the mother{censored}er! ;)

try chucking a pedal or compressor in front of it.

glad you like the amp. nice to see it go to a good home.

the 6100 sounds great. the lead channel is quite different to my 6100lm and the el34's change the tone more than i'd expect.

i had them running side by side yesterday.

mmm mmm. tasty

• Members

Yeah true, I haven't really cranked it up the max yet, I'll probably still get a couple of preamp valves as they're so cheap to experiment with though.

I cant wait to start experimenting with compressors, EQ's, and particularly rack effects units, im pretty straight edge so i guess what would be my beer money can go on lots of ebay gear next september!

Going to start experimenting with my delay and phaser in the FX loop tommorow, should be fun!

Really glad you like the amp, the LM model is meant to have a revised lead channel, some say the channel B on the non-LM is better though.. But those El34's have some mean midrange, they should compliment each other well!

I think my other issue, now i have a good amp I can use regularly at low volume is more clear, I think my size 12 strings are just too much, going to go down to 11's tommorow..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have found that the tubes, which are very easy to replace, make a big difference. Today I ordered the 9th gen Shuguang 12AX7C's purely from doug at dougstubes.com recommendation. I asked him for the best morerately priced high gain tube for the JMP-1 and that's what he recommended and I went with it.

I too love the JMP-1 to death but for metal I have a great pedal in front which is the BOSS SD-1 Overdrive. Actually it makes the JMP-1 sound just like the tone of Crazy Train. But I know if you want more gain, you can just change out the tubes.

Engin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I returned the chinese 9th's to doug. He was very cool about it and exchanged the EH's for them.

The Electro Harmonix 12ax7 and JMP-1 combination is a match made in heaven. I have a brand new amp now. The distortion is so nice and complex. I've been playing 25 years and I've never achieved such a profesional tone before.

For anyone trying to boost the gain on a JMP-1, try the EH's in V2.

For V1 I'm using the JJ's. Their crystal-like tone goes so well with the EH distortion. I'm finally happy!!!!

By the way, the chinese 9th have a ton of distortion but lacked tone in the JMP-1. It was like there was no tone at all, just raw distortion. It wasn't good for anything. Not even Pantera which I like to play once in a while. I have no idea why people like them.

Engin

• Members

Originally posted by bytor95

The Electro Harmonix 12ax7 and JMP-1 combination is a match made in heaven. I have a brand new amp now. The distortion is so nice and complex. I've been playing 25 years and I've never achieved such a profesional tone before.

I just retubed mine with EH 12ax7s and they're GREAT. JJ 6l6s+KT88s in my Strategy 500. :thu:

• Members

I just played for about an hour today. I can't overstate how great the EH 12ax7's sound in a JMP-1. The distorition is so professional.

For anyone with a JMP-1, try the EH in the V2 tube slot. Awesome swirling distortion tones very much like Alex Lifeson from the Moving Pictures album can be achieved so easily that I wind up reducing the chorus and reverb on my Gmajor. The distortion itself is almost enough of a great effect on its own if that makes sense. It's almost like the tone is so amazing that there's an effect there to begin with from the interaction with the tube. Try it.

Engin

Archived