Any way to fix 'Rack Rash'?

Elric

• Members

I have a lot of used gear that has some serious rack rash. Is there any way to fix/refinish those metal top/bottom panels yourself? I know it's not critical to sound, etc, but if it's doable it'd be nice to have my stuff not look so beat up. :) Thanks for any ideas....

• Members

Originally posted by Duke of Metal

You could try re-paiting the unit's case. Obviously you'll have to take the guts out, strip the current paint off and redo that.

Its a bit of work, but it'll allow you to customize your units colour
:D

Cheers

That sounds like a pretty cool idea. Thanks...

Does a particular kind of paint work best? Seems like the brushed metal used for most units is the type of material not all paints would "stick" to. Also, any info on whether the panel to be painted should be treated in some way first? Like a primer of some sort or removal of existing finish?

Thanks for any further ideas or help guys. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Elric

That sounds like a pretty cool idea. Thanks...

Does a particular kind of paint work best? Seems like the brushed metal used for most units is the type of material not all paints would "stick" to. Also, any info on whether the panel to be painted should be treated in some way first? Like a primer of some sort or removal of existing finish?

Thanks for any further ideas or help guys.
:)

I couldnt tell you to be honest.. but I'd imagine that any type of paint that sticks to aluminum or metal should be good. Go to a paint shop and ask there. They would most likely know that stuff. Maybe something like some sort of "wax" type material on top of the finished paint. something that would protect the paint and give it a "new" look.

Taking the paint off? well, maybe an electronic paint stripper or you can use sand paper but that will take a long time. So an electronic paint stripper would be a better idea to use.

For writtings on the panels, I'd use something like a label maker and print out what it should say on each output and input, etc..

Archived