Mesa Dyna Watt 20/20 technical params

• Members

Like many websites of that kind, mesa's web-site demonstrates a great deal flash technology and skills of web-designers, but not just their amps. So I need to found out something extra about Mesa DynaWatt 20/20.

Firstly, is that possible to use the mesa 20/20 with one, not two cabinets (I've got only one Marshall TSL C212)? Secondly, since it's 110V I need to know the input power of the transfromer. I understand the amp puts out 40W altogether, but how much does it consume? And maybe some one has looked inside, tell me wether it's possible to rewire the rensformet from 110V to 220V. And finally is that oke to buy it used for $641 plus shipment sp totally $800.

Thanks.

• Members

There was a similar thread on this a while back... I remember posting the power dissipation and specs. Will try and dig that up for you. As for the price, you can buy new for that price. I'd go used and save on the shipping.

Just my feelings about that.

content added>>

The output of the speaker you don't want to use need to be loaded with a 40 watt 8 ohm resistor. I would just turn the output of the channel to zero and leave a smaller load resistor (20 watt 8 ohm) in place. The consumption should be 4 amps max at 117v. If you use a stepdown then the consumption will be about 2 amps max. The typical rating is 2 amps at 117v but with surges it needs to handle 4 amps. The Torodial transformer in the unit is hardwired and I believe is not tapped for 220v. The euro version has a 220 tranny if I recall. The limited size of the torodial tranny didn't accomodate a multi-tap. I could be wrong. Without seeing the particular amp, I can say for sure.

T.

• Members

Thanks Terri,

hope the "Search" will be working soon

I got clear with the price

I' got the idea about 40/8 resister and the volume at zero

and I unserstand the dexcription about tranny, but was it exactly about the mesa 20/20? As far I as gather from your description, the power will be 117 *2 or 117*4 ~ 234W or 468W well I thought it would be a bit less. A tranny converter I will need must be 3-5 time as much as the consumption power in order not to damage the ranny nor the sound quality; thus, it must be about 1KW or so. This thing may increase my expenses for extra $100.

Corret me if I'm wrong though.

That's what wanted, to know.

Thanks again

• Members

A 1KW 220 stepdown may be overkill. I think if you get a 500W; 600W or 750W stepdown, you will be good to go. Don't worry about damaging the tranny or sound quality. You'll be fine. You'll also save a lot more too.

T.

• Members

Well yes, for the mesa, I found the 20/20 on sale on eBay $650 used:

http://cgi.ebay.de/MESA-BOOGIE-20-20_W0QQitemZ280044281124QQihZ018QQcategoryZ46657QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So the price about $800 is quite comparable. I suppse you meant the US when saying about the pices.

So, I've decided to switch to the used VHT 2/50/2 for $700 (besides it has the outputs to 2x110 in series; very easy to do 220W)

or maybe the hybrid tube/SS Brunetti Rockit for $560

and I've been offered an ADA Microtube 100, but I think it can't match the Brunetti in that regard.

Archived