Mesa Quad Pre : What Wattage from the wall

bond

• Members

:confused:

I live in aus, if i buy one from the US and need a stepdown transformer just for the preamp, I'd prefer to save on the weight by using an appropriate transformer, eg buying a 500w tranny, when it only pulls 50w ...

cheers

• Members

Not sure about the Mesa Quad, but preamps in general don't suck too much power. Just for reference, the manual of my ADA MP-1 says it draws 18W, and my Engl E530 says 16W Max.

However, a 200W 240V step down will only handle 100W at 120V. There's possibly some physics theory behind it but I just woke up and my brain is still on AUX power. However I have a 200W step down for my ADA MP-1, and it says "For use with appliances up to 100W"

PS. I found Triaxis specs and it says 30W.

• Members

Originally posted by Karloff

80w sdt is not enough.you need bigger..the quad wattage is 150w.

I wonder where all that juice is utilised. If ADA got away with 18W on their killer MP-1, and the Mesa Triaxis gets away with 30W when it has 5 tubes, I wonder what is in there that needs 150W :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by nitehawk

I wonder where all that juice is utilised. If ADA got away with 18W on their killer MP-1, and the Mesa Triaxis gets away with 30W when it has 5 tubes, I wonder what is in there that needs 150W
:freak:

Well, lets see...the fact that all 8 12AX7's are being fed around 450v DC (+/-) to their plates could have something to do with that.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by boogieman_dan

Well, lets see...the fact that all
8 12AX7's
are being fed around 450v DC (+/-) to their plates could have something to do with that.

8 tubes... ahh ok that explains things :D

Triaxis = 5 tubes = 30W....

8 tubes = 48W....

*sigh*

Archived