Carvin TS100 vs. Engl 840/50 (Poweramps)

• Members

Help me with this decision! These are the facts that I am aware of:

Both are 2x50W poweramps, but:

CARVIN TS100:

Pros. - Price - Simplicity

Cons. - EL 34 power tubes - Rumours that it is not loud enough

TS100.jpg

ENGL 840/50:

Pros. - 5881 powertubes - ...it is ENGL :-)))

Cons. - Price - Functions that I dont need

E84050.jpg

What would you do if you were me?

Any experience from the first hand?

Is Carvin really that weak?

• Members

Haven't played either..But' I know the Carvin takes 6l6 or el34 tubes and you can run both 6l6 on one 50w side and el34's on the other if you want to according to Carvin.

As far as not being loud enough, I haven't heard that.

I do have the older T100 and it works great, no complaints except the fact it has the opamp buffer circuit where the newer TS100 is all tubes .

• Members

As with BigBone, I have the older Carvin T100. I use it for recording, as it is somewhat transparent compared to other tube power amps I've used. It doesn't have the low end of a 6L6-based unit, but if you were to get the current TS100, that of course is a non-issue since it takes both. Another option would be to get the Randall modular power amp. I believe it runs 6L6 and EL34...or maybe EL84.

I have yet to hear an Engl power amp. As I mentioned, I use the Carvin for recording, and a Peavey Classic 60 (6L6) or Classic 50/50 (EL84) live. Of the three, the 50/50 is the most versatile, having both presence and resonance controls. If I were buying brand new, I'd get the TS100 and (if possible) run different tubes on each side.

• Members

+ 1 of the randall. i got stuck with a spastic unit at first but it was proably damaged in transit, the one ive got now has never ever had any problems with it and it gets chucked around a fair bit. never used an engl either but id prefer my randall over the carvin.

• Members

As with BigBone, I have the older Carvin T100. I use it for recording, as it is somewhat transparent compared to other tube power amps I've used. It doesn't have the low end of a 6L6-based unit, but if you were to get the current TS100, that of course is a non-issue since it takes both. Another option would be to get the Randall modular power amp. I believe it runs 6L6 and EL34...or maybe EL84.

I have yet to hear an Engl power amp. As I mentioned, I use the Carvin for recording, and a Peavey Classic 60 (6L6) or Classic 50/50 (EL84) live. Of the three, the 50/50 is the most versatile, having both presence and resonance controls. If I were buying brand new, I'd get the TS100 and (if possible) run different tubes on each side.

Why do you use the Carvin in the studio, but the Peavey Classics live?

• Members

Why do you use the Carvin in the studio, but the Peavey Classics live?

It was unintentional for the first part. I bought the Peavey Classic 60 first, for gigging. It's a 3U design, but not very deep, so I bought a 3U "shallow" rack case to carry it around in. Several months later, I decided to look for a stereo version for the studio rack I was putting together, but didn't have any luck finding a Classic 60/60 or 120/120 at the time, so I jumped on the Carvin when I had the chance. Since then, I found a Classic 50/50, which is deeper than the 60, but only 2U and has front-mounted controls, including presence and resonance.

I like the sound of Peavey stuff in general, but one way or another, even their power amps seem to have that "signature" Peavey midrange spike that most of their amps have. That doesn't bother me, but since I'm using a variety of other gear in my rack and my bandmates are plugging into some of it in the studio, the somewhat more transparent sound of the Carvin works well in that situation.

• Members

The Peavey classic 50/50 sounds cool to me, but I'm not down for replacing 8 powertubes for a tube change.

If I see a good deal on a Carvin T100 or TS100 locally, I'll probably pounce on it. But I just cranked my laney up real loud for the first time since a little show at my school a few weeks ago... and I'm loving it. The Laney rips.

• Members

The Peavey classic 50/50 sounds cool to me, but I'm not down for replacing 8 powertubes for a tube change.

If I see a good deal on a Carvin T100 or TS100 locally, I'll probably pounce on it. But I just cranked my laney up real loud for the first time since a little show at my school a few weeks ago... and I'm loving it. The Laney rips.

I'll sell you a really nice Carvin Tube 100 with fresh 6L6's for $350 shipped in the lower 48.

Archived