Sansamp psa-1 is a magic pre or?

• Members

Boganova, would you mind telling me what power amp and what speaker cabs you're using? Sounds like you're getting really good results there. I've been wondering if just all of the advice/recommendations that Tech 21 gives is working. Thanks!

My cab is a standard marshal 1960a cap, with celestians. nothing special there.

Carvin TS100 poweramp with the el34s. I used to use a ADA BS200 solid state poweramp and that sounded mean as well. A real transparent power amp is the key. Also, through a standard guitar cab, you gotta wind up that treble setting quite a bit. especially when using distortion.

Ive also run it through a standard none guitar system, my home stereo in fact, and it sounded real good, but it sounded more processed that way to me, when compared to the cab, but was still far more realistic than a digital modeler.

Sure it cost alot, but here in NZ all rack gear costs heaps, and theres not a second hand market for it. Like I said, when you add an EQ, like in the G major, it makes the sound. Ive used a few nice amps in time, and while individually they probably had better tone in one sound than my current set up, the versatility just kills, and the clean tone is awesome. Setting 13, a fender funk tone, is my fav, hands down.

• Members

Does it mean that using the psa-1 live will stop being questionable? Why am I asking? Evening-party caffes offer only a system (600-1000 watts) for playing DVD's, singning and using a keyboard to play something life. No equipment for guitarists. So I need to come and plug my preamp directly into the mix. It could very convinient because the mix usualy has an echo/delay effect in-built, a noise gate too etc. It means that I can bring only the guitar and the psa-1.

I'd expect a PSA-1 (or modeler like a POD or tonelab) to work quite a bit better than an amp in that context if you need more than one or two tones.

Archived