Shielded cables

Ouija

• Members

Shielded (instrument) cable=1 or more conductor(s) w/ shield.

Unshielded (speaker) cable=2 or more conductors.

The shield is what helps with eliminating interference to your signal. If you used a speaker cable for any other reason than to connect an amp to a speaker you'd have serious noise issues all day long,:eek:. Speaker cables are typically a higher gage cable allowing it to carry a sustained, higher voltage.

If you go to a store for cables just look for "instrument" or "speaker" on the label. :thu:

Scott

• Members

ah thats not always correct. I bought patch leads (ie short instrument leads) once with out thinking about them etc as I was in a rush. I had spanish radio coming through my rack until I changed them. They were either not shielded and if they were it was useless...

• Members

ah thats not always correct. I bought patch leads (ie short instrument leads) once with out thinking about them etc as I was in a rush. I had spanish radio coming through my rack until I changed them. They were either not shielded and if they were it was useless...

If you bought stereo patch leads, they may have been in a balanced or semi balanced wiring scheme.

A true balanced cable is a two conductor, one shield cable going to a TRS (tip, ring & sleeve) or XLR connection. The hot lead, neutral lead and shield never contact each other.

In a semi-balanced configuration, the wiring is the same, but the connectors are TS (tip, sleeve). The shield is grounded at the piece of equipment sending the signal. Thus, any noise picked up by the shield should go back to the source of the signal, then to the ground, never being heard.

A semi-balanced cable with the send and receive ends switched, or a balanced cable with a short can send all that noise the shield picks up to the next piece in the signal chain, resulting in spanish radio or truckers coming out of your speakers...

Archived