Differences between Soldano sp77 and x88r?

• Members

If I remember correctly the X88R has three channels while the SP77 only has two, the X88R is hand built and carries the famous Soldano lifetime transferable warranty, the SP77 does not. To me this implies a much likely better component selection and build quality on the 88. The X88R is by far the more preferable of the two in terms of market value, etc.

I doubt the naming has anything to do with the years they were designed, just where they sit in the product line. The next unit up from the 88 in the Soldano preamp selection is the motorized X99 unit. So, I think the idea is 99>88>77

• Members

The SP77 build quality is not a problem. The two channels have extended gain in order to make up for not having the crunch channel.

The SP77 is the lower tier product just like the Hot Rod series amps therefore it wouldn't make sense to cover it as well as their far more expensive amps/preamps. Most people I know judge companies upon hearing and hearing about the lower tier products due to how plentiful they are. It would be career suicide to make something lesser quality to save a buck. Due to the internet, everybody would know.

• Members

Well, the ADA MP-1 is relatively cheap, but it's also a famous preamp. For me, the dilemma is to select Soldano sp77 for $400 and x88r for $1050, but the x88r is modified: a booster for 1 channel was made and built in. If i undestand it correctly, it comes out that compared to the x88r the sp77 is sort of fake... :eek:

Elric

Yes, that was a joke about years, rather provocative, like an injection in order not to let the my thread die. :)

And it did work for me, thank you for your comments guys, really useful :wave:

• Members

The same sounds are available in all of the preamps. Why more than double your price to get one more sound? I would in spite of their size use a pair of SP77s instead and have 4 channels for equal or less money.

I've played both through a sp77 and a x88 at Solid Body Guitar through a SM100. They sounded practically identical to each other and either setup practically identical to an SLO.

• Members

Elric

Yes, that was a joke about years, rather provocative, like an injection in order not to let the my thread die.
:)

That's cool... sorry, normally my sarcasm detector is pretty good guess I missed it on that one. ;)

JMP: Yeah doesn't surprise me that the 77 would be kick ass, too. Regardless of where something lives on the Soldano product line, I'd expect quality from them since they seem to take their reputation and quality very seriously and Mike S is a great designer. :thu:

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Thanks, I finally got a purple one! But I ran into an odd feature with this. When I tune the Output knob outright down, the signal doesn't vanish, it remains, but it just goes very very quiet (like wisper). The sound is off only when I turn down the Preamp knob. Is that a function or a malfunction?

• Members

1000 for an x88r is a decent deal, I've seen em go for more. I am biased, as a long time lover of all things soldano. I have both preamps (several actually), High gain is very similar (slo-ish the basic template for soldano's in general) on the two, channel 1 is alike on both, the mid channel on the x88r is a crunchy channel similar to the crunch option on an slo. The build quality is a bit better on the x88r, but thats really a non issue as the quality is stellar on the sp77. (the x88r is like nasa, military spec, super super super high grade.....)

• Members

The SP77 is a nearly the exact circuit as the SLO, Which has the clean channel on, in parallel with the overdrive channel, and the overdrive channel being cut out to alow just the clean channel, with the heavy overdrive of the overdrive channel essentially drowning out the clean channel. The X88R as other's have stated, is 3 channels, with only one channel being active at any one time. The circuit layout is again very true the SLO. but with a few component values being different, such as the first coupling cap being .047uf in the X88 as opposed to the .022uf cap in the SLO/SP77. The plate load resistor in the last gain stage before the cathode follower just before the tone circuit (the effects loop is inserted here in the SLO) of the X88 is 100k instead of the 220k in the SP77 which lowers gain slightly and adds back some lost highs (047uf cap). One more thing, the filter caps in the X88 are 16uf instead of 10uf in the SLO/SP77, This combines with the .047uf coupling cap in the first gain stage I mentioned, to give the X88R a little more low end and an "angrier" voicing. All in all, in any Soldano amp the overdrive circuit remains almost identical to the original SLO in the number of gain stages and resistor and cap values with just a few tweaks to give each one a slightly different flavor. $1000 for the X88R is a steal! DON'T PAY MORE THAN $500 FOR THE SP77! Althogh recently a few on Ebay have started asking as much as $750, way too high!

• Members

Thank you for your detailed comment.

I got my sp 77 for $700 (including shipment costs through the ocean and import taxes, so it is just right). First I found it sounded very bad. Then I noticed it needed 120V instead of 100V I ran. So finally all bugs dissapieared. My one is charged with four 12ax7LPS tubes, which is very good for recording. However, I needed to replace two of the tubes with 12ax7eh.

• Members

Your welcome. Glad to help. Something to consider, your preamp can easily be modified for not much $ with the changes I mentioned to sound like the X88R. Also the comments I made are in regard to the OD channels only. Of course the filter caps affect all channels, it's not a drastic difference, but noticable. Some claim the SP77 has less gain the SLO, but I don't see how that is possible, as "on paper" the circuits of the two are nearly identical. The major differences are that the transformers are of course diffrent, no output tranny in the SP77 of course, but this would affect tone more than gain. If you need any help or have questions, feel free to contact me directly

dino@dinosguitarandamplifierservice.com. I build Soldano clones and modify Marshall's and Laney's with Soldano preamp sections. You can also modify it to sound more "plexi ish" with just a change to the .002uf cap that is in parallel with the 470k resistor just before the OD channels gain pot to 500pf (use a good metal film cap) and by adding another 500pf cap in parallel with the 470k resistor that sits just before the grid of the second gain stage.

Just a little food for thought. I don't mean to sound overly technical, I am assuming you know something about these terms.

• Members

Cool post, actually. I think the SP77 has enough crunchy gain (for me).

I have a local craftman here who builts his own custom amps based on the Soldano SLO schematic. I use his amps and love them so much. (The latest amp I've ordered is going to be point-to-point wired, with kenotron rectification, with alien breadly resistors, and with its own independent preamp section for each channel -- just killer). However, the most part he makes amp-heads. That's why I wanted a Soldano preamp. The sound is really pretty similar (his amps sound better though). With your information these mods you mentioned will cost me nothing. He says it's better to replace some caps with oil-paper ones, like he uses in his amps.

I'll defenitely conatact you, you seem you've examined the Soldano things very well. The first thinh I need is to replace the 120V power transformer with a 220V one, if it's not affect the sound.

• Members

That's great that you have a guy to work with. The oil caps he is refering are for values in uf (micro farads), the metal film caps are usually in picofarads (much higher frequencies). It does'nt matter too much what the construction is, it's the caps values that control frequencies although one make of cap will sound slightly different to another of the same value to the trained ear.

Changing the power trans will not effect tone as the out put voltage will be the same and that is what the circuits run on. Good luck and have fun!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Heya soldano lovers! Im a happy owner of the purple SP77. I got it on eBay after it had been factory serviced w/new tubes, etc. Regardless of how many mods you can do on the ADA MP-1 & how many years I've used one, the SP77 is a cleaner "distortion" signal (ie more pleasing frequencies & less noise). Not to mention the beyond Godly clean channel. Oh man, is it exquisite with my LP Custom! If you push the SP77 w/ EMGs - wow, you want some low end & very clean percussive pick attack? done! When I come back to this thread on a PC, I will post pics. My latest dealio is to A/B the SP77 (rhy/clean) & ADA for leads (volume/saturation/gain boost) with my Marshall 9200 power amp. cheers!

Archived