Best Material for Video Projection?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've started using a short video presentation along with a band's intro music, projected "rear screen" from the drum riser thru a drop curtain made of black silk. Obviously this isn't the best material for the purpose... and while I'd love to be able to afford a real theatrical "scrim" designed for such application, I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon.

Does anyone know of a particular kind of fabric or other material that would work well, ideally available at your local corner fabric store?

Along the same lines, who else uses a drop curtain (aka "Kabuki Drop") when their band takes the stage? Ever found a good, portable, way of running the thing short of a couple of stagehands? curious, thanks

~Mike

• Members

The problem with fabrics from fabric shops is not that some of the materials wont be suitable as a projection surface, but that they are almost certainly not fire retarded. You can buy a spray that will fire retard materials, which you should be able to find it in any theatrical shop. Be warned though that it can be expensive...!

A good projection surface will relect the light efficiently without diffusing it and make it reflect back on itself. I have found cotton sheets to be reasonable on a budget although make sure you spray that fire retardent on it as you never know...!!

Steve..R

• 5 weeks later...

Archived