Some questions

• Members

Can you set up a strobe to trigger by volume? So that you could stick it in an A/B type loop and activate it with a pedal, then every time you played something it would activate.

I don't recall what they call it but i've seen cloth hung infront of a stage so that you can't see the band unless there is a light on behind the curtain. I've seen it in a play, and they painted the curtain like a house and built rooms inside, then when they turned on the room light you'd see inside the room, and for scenes in front of the house they'd turn off the light.

And what's a "smart light"?

• Members

Q#1 No bloody idea. Sounds like a strobed light organ. Check with Radio Shack either for the very thing or plans on how to make one.

Q#2 That is called a scrim.

Smart lights are lights that operate from some computer program, either on board or at a control console.

• Members

Originally posted by Quart_Jester

Can you set up a strobe to trigger by volume? So that you could stick it in an A/B type loop and activate it with a pedal, then every time you played something it would activate.

I don't recall what they call it but i've seen cloth hung infront of a stage so that you can't see the band unless there is a light on behind the curtain. I've seen it in a play, and they painted the curtain like a house and built rooms inside, then when they turned on the room light you'd see inside the room, and for scenes in front of the house they'd turn off the light.

And what's a "smart light"?

Many strobe units have sound to light as an input. There is often a footswitch option as well as +10volts. The plus +10volts will trigger the strobe with a signal of up to 10volts. A 9vdc battery is a good way to trigger these for testing. You could probably make a footswitch with a 9vdc battery in line. A bit of a bodge but it could work.

I think the screen is probably a type of scrim which is a common projection surface. There are different types of transparencys to choose from. Front lighting this screen will reduce the transparency. Lighting from behind it will increase it. It's a question of clever front versus back lighting.. :)

SteveR

• Members

I think putting up a scrim, possibly with a video projector infront of it and setting up strobes infront of each band member as well as aimed at the back wall, and then get a watery type lighing effect in a warm and cold color aimed at the back wall could result in a pretty damn cool show. Thow in a smoke machine for kicks, and hope we don't asphyxiate behind the scrim.

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by Quart_Jester

I think putting up a scrim, possibly with a video projector infront of it and setting up strobes infront of each band member as well as aimed at the back wall, and then get a watery type lighing effect in a warm and cold color aimed at the back wall could result in a pretty damn cool show. Thow in a smoke machine for kicks, and hope we don't asphyxiate behind the scrim.

thanks

Don't forget to consider some coloured gel on the front of those strobes. White is expected, but it can work well with a fitting colour.

Good Luck :)

SteveR

Archived