how to for lighting

• Members

hey guys! i am a "newby" on lighting . . . actually have the opportunity to become a lighting director . . . here is my question to you fine guys that will help this girl out ;) "what are the basic tips one should know about good lighting?" thanks boys for all your help! :D

• Members

Originally posted by orionkid66

hey guys! i am a "newby" on lighting . . . actually have the opportunity to become a lighting director . . . here is my question to you fine guys that will help this girl out
;)
"what are the basic tips one should know about good lighting?" thanks boys for all your help!
:D

Rule #1

First Function of lighting is illuminating the stage. If you start from that premise the rest should fall into place.

Second function is Selective Visibility. This means that you are directing the audiences eyes to where you want them.

Third thing to remember is Composition. Lighting the stage is an art and you will be painting the stage with light.

Fourth is establishing a Mood, or the emotion of the scene. If you have been successful with the previous 3 then mood will just fall into place.

Look up Stanley McCandless. (sp?) He distilled a basic lighting scheme. Lighting should fall from a 45 degree angle (vertical) from the acting area, and 45 degrees Horizontal from center. Establishing that the Key, or main light is from one side and the fill is comming from the other.

I will try to find a diagram for this later.

• Members
:D thanks so much! those tips sound great and will make for an awesome foundation for me! the lights i will be working w/are: STM Lighting: Technolux, 4 Galilao's 4 Victory's . . . we are looking in to purchasing a board from either Avo Lites, Pearl or Tig Systems, Hog . . . any word on those boards or the equipment that we have already!? let me know! thanks again guys!! :)

• Members

Originally posted by orionkid66

:D
thanks so much! those tips sound great and will make for an awesome foundation for me! the lights i will be working w/are: STM Lighting: Technolux, 4 Galilao's 4 Victory's . . . we are looking in to purchasing a board from either Avo Lites, Pearl or Tig Systems, Hog . . . any word on those boards or the equipment that we have already!? let me know! thanks again guys!!
:)

The Avo Pearl is a fine desk. I know more people that use the Pearl than the Hog. Probably because lighting companies will go the for the cheapest quality desk that is most commonly requested by lighting designers and operators although the Pearl isn't missing any essential features over a Hog.

Another handy little desk is the Avolites Azure. Small and requires a monitor but comes with many of the features from the Pearl.

If money was no object and I wanted some moving lights, I would be using the 2000 series Varilites and any of the studio (studio spot etc) range from Highend systems..

Rimmer

Archived