Do You Think Great White Had Permission?

sydfan

• Members

Originally posted by meegaleedo

Did the band ignore the rules or did the Stage/Production/Technical Manager do so? I doubt the musicians have the skills and knowledg to even consider pyro.

yeah i know 0 about pyro and i was studing about it... thats sad! YEAH i dunno.. i wonder where are the lawsuits going to be pinned at?

• Members

I think that Great White were probably given verbal permission. Neither party probably intended to get the necessary permits. The owners could then deny that the band had permission if something happened. The owners didn't realize that if "something happened" the cheap packaging foam they had glued to the walls would make them just as responsible as the band that ignited the blaze.

I think these people will be found responsible.

The Owners - Improperly installed an inappropriate sound proofing material that hastened the spread of the blaze. Legal capacity was more likely than not exceeded.

The Band - They started the fire. They didn't obtain, or verify that the club had obtained, the proper paperwork. Whether or not they had permission doesn't matter. If you pour gas on your head, and your neighbor gives you permission to light yourself on fire, it doesn't mean he's responsible if you do it. One {censored}in' roadie with a fire extinguisher could have probably saved many lives. Instead, Jack Russell is tossing the contents of a water bottle at the fire.

The City - I thought the purpose of fire inspections was to identify and correct possible fire hazards. They never cited the club for installing soundproofing foam that was inappropriate. The inspections could be viewed as negligent, if the inspector should have asked about the fire rating of the material, and adhesive used. This might put the city or county on the hook.

Expect lots of litigation, and inadequate coverage to handle the settlements.

• Members

Originally posted by caguile

The City - I thought the purpose of fire inspections was to identify and correct possible fire hazards. They never cited the club for installing soundproofing foam that was inappropriate. The inspections could be viewed as negligent, if the inspector should have asked about the fire rating of the material, and adhesive used. This might put the city or county on the hook.

yeah i can see that... but you can't attack the city.. they probely did inspect the club.. thing is what stopped the owner from pulling the stuff off the roof or what ever... inspections is hindsight... you can only inspect on what you see not what is in the future.. what ever alterations the club made after the inspection is legal until the next inspection.. where they come into trouble.. the city is safe.

But will it be the band? The club? Club owners? The installer of the flameable material? the pyro tech? Some people got killed in the tramble.. you can't blame that on anyone... but it is a tradgic ending.. but i think its gunna be hard to pin this one.. i want to see what the end result is.

• Members

Originally posted by caguile

I think that Great White were probably given verbal permission. Neither party probably intended to get the necessary permits. The owners could then deny that the band had permission if something happened. The owners didn't realize that if "something happened" the cheap packaging foam they had glued to the walls would make them just as responsible as the band that ignited the blaze.

I think these people will be found responsible.

The Owners - Improperly installed an inappropriate sound proofing material that hastened the spread of the blaze. Legal capacity was more likely than not exceeded.

The Band - They started the fire. They didn't obtain, or verify that the club had obtained, the proper paperwork. Whether or not they had permission doesn't matter. If you pour gas on your head, and your neighbor gives you permission to light yourself on fire, it doesn't mean he's responsible if you do it. One {censored}in' roadie with a fire extinguisher could have probably saved many lives. Instead, Jack Russell is tossing the contents of a water bottle at the fire.

Good analysis. I expect some prison time.

• Members

Being in a band that does a lot of pyro I can tell you they probably had permission. The problem is the club can't give LEGAL permission. There are rules and laws in every state governing pyro. My state has some of the most stringent. At the least permission from the fire marshall is necessary. Since I have been involved in pyro I will put the blame where it belongs....on the pyro person. If he/she was paying attention a couple quick blasts of a fire extinguisher would have stopped this tragedy. It seems to me the pyro tech wasn't paying attention. Pyro techs MUST be alert and ready with fire extinguishers at all times. They can't be kicking back having a brew or talking to chicks.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived