sound activated vs. chase

Michael Mage

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

Holy carp Rimmer, you're a mod now? Sweet.

Not on this forum... :(

I've thought of taking it on though. I suspect all that needs doing is deleting the Open Jam posters that abuse this forum. Anyone could do that..

;)

• Members

Here's my cheap DIY solution to that -- go to Lowes, Home Depot, or wherever you'd like. Get an electrical outlet box -- a solid, metal one -- and a really sturdy on/off pushbutton switch that looks like it'll take some abuse. Also, if you don't have a spare one at home, pick up an extension cord. Shortest one possible.

Drill a hole in the top of the electrical box (you DID get the cover for it, right?). Mount the switch. Cut the extension cord in half. Wire one half to one side of the switch, and the other half to the other side. Now you should have a small metal box with one half of an extension cord hanging out one side, and one half hanging out the other side, with a switch in the middle.

Plug your light(s) into the female end, and plug the male end into the wall. Now, when you want the lights to start up, just step on the switch -- assuming they've got no warm-up cycle or anything, you're in business. When you're done with them, hit the switch again to cut the power to them.

Total cost should be well under $10 bucks.

I decided to get a little fancy with mine, because I needed to know when the lights were on and when they weren't (sometimes I'm in an area of the stage that I can't see that particular light), so I wired two LEDs into the box as well. Green means on, red means off.

Archived