Releasing/Dropping a Front Curtain

J Kylez

• Members

I am looking for ideas for dropping/releasing a front curtain for a show opener. We are a mobile lighting company. The show moves from venue to venue.

It is basically a 1 trick pony for a show opener after the intro music. Any ideas for the rigging and setup would be appreciated.

Thanks,

J

• Members

You'll need a DC motor and controller running a winch to reel up a cable attached to the curtain.

You'll have to estimate the weight of the curtain to spec in the size of the motor. I'm guessing about a 1/4 horsepower.

Do you want to roll the curtain up like a window shade, or pull it to the side?

• Members
Originally posted by Greyhame

You'll need a DC motor and controller running a winch to reel up a cable attached to the curtain.

You'll have to estimate the weight of the curtain to spec in the size of the motor. I'm guessing about a 1/4 horsepower.

Do you want to roll the curtain up like a window shade, or pull it to the side?

I think he wants it to drop down in front of the band.

• Members

Originally posted by Johnny Park

I think he wants it to drop down in front of the band.

Yep, that's right.

I am entertaining the idea of using electromagnets right now. If I use AC electromagnets I can operate it off of a relay. When I kill the power the scrim drops.

I was thinking about using aluminum conduit in sections so it can be broken apart easily. The scrim is 30' wide. That way I can build the it to scale for the stage size. Wiring will go through the conduit with male and female AC plugs for connection. Electromagents can be directly attached to the conduit and wired in-line. I just need to figure out an easy method to suspend the conduit from the ceiling. I can build it from lighting tree to tree across the front of the stage or suspend from the ceiling.

I figure conduit would be better. I would be more effort to use a chain or cable. I would need more hangers.

Oh well, it's the best thing I thought up so far. Good idea?????

• Members

I have built a lot of neat stuff using conduit. Inexpensive structural material. It can be tricky to weld unless you're using a wire welder.

Using electromagnets to hold stuff in place until released is going to waste power and cause problems in case of a power failure. I would prefer to use a mechanical pin to hold things in place until pulled out by a solenoid (electromagnet).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived