Martin Pro 400s

slystewart

• Members

We have been lusing the 500 and 1000 watt par cans and Martin scanners.....par cans at the front and the scanners at the back.Have seen but never used the Martin Color Changer Pro 400s as an add on or even replacement to some of the par cans...the idea being one Pro 400 with various color changes against say 4 par cans each doing one color....any views on this Srewart

• Members

Pro 400's use discharge lamps (MSD's I think) which are inherently white. Par cans' have a coloured edge to them even when they are trying to be white.

Par cans can be bumped and have a nice analogue fade to them. Pro400's have spinning colour wheels (no proper colour mixing and fades) and a harsh metal shutter. A Pro400 has a gobo wheel..

In my opinion, Pro400's and Par cans are only comparable as they are both essentially wash lights. A par can has a much more earthy feel than a Pro400 although it's very basic by comparison. The Pro400 has that digital feel about the light it projects.

I would never replace a Par can with a Pro400 thinking it could do the same job. Neither would I swap a Pro400 for a gelled Par can.

In many ways, the Pro400 was one of the best lights Martin have ever made. Simple, reasonably reliable with some nice colours. It's not very adaptable but it is DMX controllable and they tend to work, most of the time.. ;)

Archived