computerized dmx???

zuul777

• Members

Hey

I am looking into going to dmx for my lights (right now i have 10 channels of relays...)

i use a computer for live stuff, and i want to know if i can just get a thing for the computer to run the dmx stuff?

anyone hear of this?

bill w

• Members

You can get DMX controllers that use the computer, but they're expensive. ShowExpress or ShowXpress or some combination of those two words seems to be the most popular one, but expect to pay about $800 for the basic and $1100 for the "enhanced" versions!

• Members

The hardware (ie physical interface) is the expensive bit, and the software to run it is usually a free download. If you are up to some DIY, then there are a few sites describing how to build simple dmx add-on boxes which are cheap and seem to work with quite a number of the software downloads.

One such site is http://www.ele.tut.fi/~viikari/

Cheers

• Members

Has anyone actually BUILT one of those DMX/computer boxes? I mean, I pretty much run a computer store -- I have access to most of the parts I'd need, as well as any number of cheap computers, so it'd be a very ideal thing IMO. If anything, I'd love to just be able to play with the damn things in my living room because I can't afford a decent DMX controller yet and I've got a bunch of intelligents just collecting dust!

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I have downloaded the software and played with it a bit in demo mode (don't have the dmx dongle) and it seems pretty cool. I like that there's quite a library of fixtures to choose from so you can build your setup pretty quickly. I also like the Visualizer window so you can see (and show to someone else) what the show will look like without dragging out the whole rig.

• Members

Originally posted by Centauri

The hardware (ie physical interface) is the expensive bit, and the software to run it is usually a free download.

True, but really the dongle is cheap to produce. It's the software improvements that cost. So they charge nothing for the software to get you to try it and hopefully buy it, while charging a lot for a dongle which probably has no more than $20 in parts.

Plus, I think the market for dmx software is artificially inflated, because otherwise who would buy the hardware controllers with similar capabilities?

Archived