Lighting system for 700$ !?

• Members

My 7 piece soul funk band plan to buy a small lighting system (just in case there's nothing or to complement the existing lighting of a club).

Here's an offer we had :

8 x 300W PAR 56

2 x stands (max height 3m)

1 automatic controller GENI SR-403C (4 channel chaser with 4 selectable chase programs, manual speed control, audio trigger) that handles 10 amps per channel.

Price for everything is 700$.

Are we missing something important ? A footcontroller would be necessary ? Please comment !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by nic'o'caster

My 7 piece soul funk band plan to buy a small lighting system (just in case there's nothing or to complement the existing lighting of a club).

Here's an offer we had :

8 x 300W PAR 56

2 x stands (max height 3m)

1 automatic controller GENI SR-403C (4 channel chaser with 4 selectable chase programs, manual speed control, audio trigger) that handles 10 amps per channel.

Price for everything is 700$.

Are we missing something important ? A footcontroller would be necessary ? Please comment !

If I were you, I would check out the controller first. It sounds like 8 56's is about the current (ampere) limit of the chaser which means you wont be able to expand (depending on whether this is a 110vac supply you are talking about).

One big mistake I see people making is buying a budget controller with crap chases. Although it's only four channels (2 lamps per channel so you would probably connect the outter most 56 to the outmost 56 on the other side as one channel, and so on) it is either going to do sucky flashes or it's going to offer you the chance to program or select cross fades which will make for a better experience for both yourselves and the audience.

If I was playing a gig with a minor lighting rig with no operator. I would set up some nice colours (related to the music I was playing) and set a slow crossfade between the colours. This will give you scenes rather than constant flashing.

Nothing wrong with a slow fade between your lamps with some medium red and medium blue gels.

• Members

Rimmer, you totally confirm what we were thinking. That's why we chose the DA-406 (specs say 4 CH Max 4600W, 8A per Channel). OK it may not be very expandable but we're pretty sure we don't need more light in the future (bigger gigs usually feature proper lighting !)

The good point is that DA-406 has automatic chaser but also manual control (min and max level per channel) that will allow for a convenient lighting (not a stupid constant flashing !). And the good new is that our soundman accept to do the job !

Your suggestion of slow lighting fades is a good one. We'll definitely try that on medium and slow songs !

• Members

Originally posted by nic'o'caster

Your suggestion of slow lighting fades is a good one. We'll definitely try that on medium and slow songs !

My concern here is that with no operator (the sound man might not have the time at the right times) you might end up with a constant flashing. This usually becomes repetative and can be distracting to both the audience and the band.

You can get away with static lighting with no fades if your colours are right. Slow fades can be programmed (or set in this case) and will suit slow and fast music..

All I would say is get a unit that allows you to adjust the chases 'cross fade' and then you will have both options..

Archived