Finding a lighting designer

zackbass

• Members

check out your local chapter of USA designers (United Scenic Artists, a faction of IATSE (Internation alliance of theatrical stage employees....) they are all good designers, though you will have to pay the union scale, it is worth it.

• Members

Great suggestion, jassbassist. I had never heard of that group; I'll check them out.

Never_Grew_Up, my initial thought was someone to design a show that can be taken into most venues for the house lighting guy to run. We've hired a pro sound company for the next show that we may consider using for all shows; we could do the same for lighting, either using the designer to run and keep suggesting and planning improvements, or turn it over to another technician.

Eventually, as we do contract performances outside of a venue with lighting, we'll need to hire lights and have a plan for the rentals, set-up and running.

Our shows are generally in civic centers and auditoriums of 500-1200 seats, although we'll move up to 1500-2200 seats next year depending on sales. Most of the venues have fairly decent lighting installed; just need to reset as needed and program the board.

Lighting is nothing real special at this time. Mostly washes, some area lighting, use of a couple follow-spots, etc. I'd like a path for "upgrading", adding special effects, lasers, etc., as we have money.

Timeframe is open, but perhaps within a month or two of contracting.

You can see more about the band at http://www.atributetothekingshow.com

• Members

Just an update:

A fellow here in Atlanta gave me a call and we had a good discussion about lighting and rock shows. I've also made some calls to some local companies, but haven't gotten far yet (had to prepare for a show this weekend). But progress is being made! Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Archived