"master scans"?

picker13

• Members

I was talking to a DJ recently about some DMX controlled intelligent lights. I not sure, but I think he called them "master scans." They are multipattern/color lights with a moving mirror. Do I have the name correct? Where can I find out more?

• Members

They are multipattern/color lights with a moving mirror. Do I have the name correct? Where can I find out more?

That would be, "all of them."

There are pretty much three kinds of DMX fixtures -- color changers, scanners (moving mirror), and moving yokes (the robot trashcans). The more you spend on them, the more features they'll have. What you described would accurately meet any scanner requirements out there.

• Members

Actually, you'd be surprised. I've got a group of 150W color changers and 250W scanners, and they're bright as hell. Of course if you're pumping ten kilowatts of Par cans, that's a different story... but for most small places, those 150-250W units will do just fine, IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Never_Grew_Up

Check out
or
to name a few sites.

Don't get too excited about the really low priced units as they typically have only a 150 watt bulb. That's not going to be bright enough to really show up against 500 - 1000 watt par cans.

About three years ago I would agree with you. If you ever get chance to check out some HighEnd Spot 250's you'll see.

Agreed though that some of the cheap and specifically older discharge lamped units are a little dim on larger stages.

Regards

Rimmer

• Members

Another thing to be aware of on the less expensive (really all) the units is to check whether they have a duty cycle posted. These things can get quite hot and the less expensive units sometimes scrimp on the heat sinks and fans so they moght be rated for something like 40 minutes of continuous duty followed by 10 minutes off to cool down.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

There's more to the output than just the lamp wattage. there's the quality of the reflector, there's halogen vs. discharge, there's the overall opitical quality of the fixture, the number of effects it will pass through, beam spread, etc.

Besides that, there's way more to look at than just lamp wattage, such as reputation and overall dependability, number and quality of colors, replacability of colors/gobos, other effects, movement range, speed, warranty, weight, size, power consumption, and on and on.

• Members
Originally posted by partycentral

There's more to the output than just the lamp wattage. there's the quality of the reflector, there's halogen vs. discharge, there's the overall opitical quality of the fixture, the number of effects it will pass through, beam spread, etc.

Besides that, there's way more to look at than just lamp wattage, such as reputation and overall dependability, number and quality of colors, replacability of colors/gobos, other effects, movement range, speed, warranty, weight, size, power consumption, and on and on.

How would you rate the Martin Acrobat? Thanks in advance.

• Members

I've never used one. However, I have been using Martin products for over 15 years. Build on Martin is pretty good and I have had very few problems with mine, ever. The few times I have, it's been due to use and regular wear and tear. From the product literature, the Acrobat is basically a centerpiece, meaning one lamp, many beams of light. Most people I know who use them are very happy with them. For the price difference, I'd rather have 3 of them than 1 wizard, which is bright and fast, but 3 of something looks better than 1, IMO. And given the start up costs ...

Archived