DMX Rig picture

BillESC

• Members

Originally posted by BillESC

Rimmer,

Doo Wop started on the street corners of Brooklyn NY in the late '40 as songs were sung acapella.

Some of the acts we've had play for the Royal NY Doo Wop Show include:

Frankie Valle & the 4 Seasons

The Supremes

The Dubs

The Cleftones

The Cadillacs

The Chantels

The Coasters

The Earls

Dion

The Platters

The Temptations

It's a fun show and always sells out.

Here's another pic (of me) during focus.

Looks like you have your hands full..

More often than not, I am the man in the rig focusing the lights for LD's on a stge gig. Many times, I design the rig as the gig happens. It really depends in the gig in hand.

I spent my early years lighting theatrical shows although I was kind of winging it at the time. I tend to be more on the technical side of things. Heavy mains. I spent a number of years in the technical bay of a largish lighting company in London, repairing a designing lighting products for customers. Most of it was repairing lighting hire items amd doing weekend gigs. Often Raves and parties with the occasional band..

Things have moved on. I tend to do a lot of high brow lighting gigs. Music tours in the summer and lots of commercial gigs, car launches (usually as lighting designer and crew boss) and some technical supervisor on gigs with lots of moving lights and technical kit that has the potential of going wrong.. ;)

I do make it out to the States on gigs occasionally but I have moved on from some of the smaller companies that used to send me to far flung countries.

Be good to meet up with you. I will make a point if I am up that neck of the woods..

Rimmer

• Members

Bill,

Too bad The Flamingos wasn't on the bill. I think they're the best Doo Wop act of all. They're from the same neighborhood as The Dells, Tom Dreesen, Lou Boudreau, and me.

Unichord,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm no retailer, don't have anything to sell, except my talents, design and programming. Unfortunately, I don't get to work on stuff as large as he does at the moment. I got into the production end of the biz just in the past couple years.

• Members

Len,

Actually the Flamingos have been on the show several times, great group. There have been so many in the 62 performances that it's hard to remember everyone as a particular event.

The Royal NY Doo Wop Show started at the Roxy in 1975 and moved to RCMH in 1980.

• Members

Originally posted by unichord

I really like that look - especially the saturated blue background. ( on both the pics)

How could you get that effect on a smaller stage - I would think that depth and distance have alot to do with the effect.....

Are you using a black background? There seems to be some reflected color there....

Thanks.

The backdrop was a grey scrim hanging in front of a large theatrical cloth. It was a bit of a spacey festival so my memory is a little cloudy on which lights were where but...

I think there were four High End spot 250's as gobo based backlight which were hung out on poles so they could do those sorts of patterns on the backdrop. The main wash (other than from six lamp bars all the way round a ground support truss) there were six Mac 250's lighting the roof, eight Mac 2000 washes and about 12 HE studio spots.

I think the blue was the UV/Congo blue'ish colour you get out of a Mac 2K wash so doing it on a smaller stage would be no issue what so ever. The biggest issue would be getting a bright enough light to give that level of brightness to a very rich and dark colour. The Mac 2k's are a little naff in many ways but they are bright...!

Rimmer

Archived