American DJ 64P LED Pro

• Members

Is this being sold anywhere yet?

Dealers are taking orders for them but they are not expected to arrive on shore till 4/16. Of the 1100 peices coming in the container almost half are already sold.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Members

Know what I can't understand? I don't know if it's the same with the Pro version, but with their regular LED can, the "all white" is the same price as their "full color". WTF? I mean, great, it'll produce a really nice white. But it should require one DMX channel to do that... maybe two if you want to be able to strobe it or something. I figured an all-white LED par with a gel frame would be maybe half the price of the full-featured one.

*shrug*

Carry on.

• Members

Parts-wise, the cost would be the same, yeah. But I'm fairly certain the parts don't cost what the fixture is selling for, either. Part of the price is manufacturing, and part of the price is the feature set. Look at video cards for computers -- many "mid-grade" cards are the same card as the "high end" ones, except they're run at a lower clock speed on the processor, or they have some of the pipes disabled to slow it down. Same thing: the white LED fixtures are missing the color-changing aspects. They can strobe and they use less power, so they're better than the "low end" par cans... but they're essentially the same unit as the full-color full-function ones, except missing some features. Seems like they should be missing some of that premium price tag, too.

You can accomplish essentially the same thing as a white LED par that you can by swapping a regular Par 64's lamp with an all-white LED lamp and using a DMX converter that allows strobing, after all. The same can't be said for the color-mixing ones... there's really nothing else like them on the market.

• Members

is the pro version really that much brighter than the regular version? I have 4 of the standard version and I'm debating picking up 4 more of the new ones if they are that much brighter.

It is "said" to be brighter but we really won't know until we get them and see for ourselves.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Are they brighter? Oh, yes. We did a side by side with the following fixtures:

American DJ PAR 64 LED

Chauvet Color Splash 196 & 200B

Eliminator Electro/Electra 196

The 64B LED Pro ate them for breakfast. American DJ has their game on with this unit. It has some serious output and they've also beefed up construction of the can with a heavier casing & added double yokes. It's a pro can all the way.

http://www.centerstagelighting.com/cgi-bin/online/webapi.cgi?sc=010&pid=par64ledproblack

http://www.centerstagelighting.com/cgi-bin/online/webapi.cgi?sc=030&pid=par64ledproblack

Archived