Slim, easy, cheap, Mirror Ball Mount.....

baimun

• Members

This doesn't apply to you guys with the tens-of-thousands of dollars of lighting..... I'm just a musician who does some night club, party, and wedding DJing with a modest rig (truss, 8 pars, 2 Kintas, 2 gobos, 2 strobes, a handful of specialty lights, and a mirror ball.

I hadn't been happy with hanging the mirror ball directly under the center of the truss because the pin spots on either side (I use one white and one colored lens that matches the wedding colors) the sparkles don't reflect in the right directions, and I didn't want to mount the pin spots out in front.

The solution was to make a light but sturdy arm to hang the mirror ball a foot or so behind the truss. With the ball a bit behind the truss, the two pinspots mounted on the underside of the truss, on either side of the ball, have perfect illumination and angle.

baimunmirrorball.jpg

I originally did it with a pair of metal bars with the perforations, but it was a pain to adjust. the simple solution was for the support arm to be one of those "come-along" style rods where you twist the center portion, and it tightens or loosens the threaded rods on both ends.

The long threaded part with the top ring is bent at a 45 degree angle so the top ring is parallel to the bottom angle iron. The nicest part is, I can twist that adusting rod to raise or lower the angle of the bar, or compensate when switching between my large mirror ball or smaller one.

Again, this may be somewhat pedestrian for some of you here, but I thought If anyone else runs into this annoyance, I'd share my $10 Lowes project. :)

Archived