Lighting for cover band

ned911

• Members

This should be a fun exercise and hopefully others will benefit. Looking to expand the lighting for my rock/top 40 cover band (www.myspace.com/romanholidayband - for reference). Band is a 3 piece.

Current inventory: 2 ADJ P64LED Pro (that' it) strapped to the top of mains

Rules: Only 1 minimal setup and tear down time. Got a 6x10 trailer for transport and storage.

Needs: back lighting, truss/stands and moving lights, fog/haze

The only thing we've settled on is the new Chauvet Colorstrips.

With the info above how would you build a simple yet effective lighting rig for a cover band.

• Members

If all you were to use for back lighting was a pair of the Colorstrips, you could get away with pipe and drape supports.

A pair of 15" flat square bases with adjustagle uprights and one adjustable horizontal drape support for the fixtures to hang on would be all you need. This rigging WOULD NOT support scanners or moving heads but certainly hold 20 to 25 pounds of LED lighting.

P_B_Images_index_pg.jpg

• Members

In that case I'd suggest a dimensional truss system and crank stands. Global Truss has crank stands the reach to 13' and support over 200# each. Their 12" triangular or box truss is extremely well made and goes together easily using tapered pins.

crankstandpicture.jpg

Tri-Segment.gifCoupler.gif

• Members

I'll say from my personal experience that if you light up the dance floor with some fast-moving stuff on the upbeat songs, you'll get more people down there dancing. Just make sure whatever you point that way is either moving around or the beams are pointed above people's line of sight -- you don't want to piss 'em off by having a scanner pointed at their face for two minutes straight, or they're gonna move/leave!

Archived