Mounting Colorstrips & Other

ned911

• Members

Those of you with Colorstrips how are you mounting them? Tree, Triangle truss, other? Some of the stages around here prohibit the use of 10 foot triangle truss on stands only because the stages are 2 small or odd shaped.

Thought about triangle or box truss verticle with the CS mounted to that.

• Members

Mounted to a T-bar. I've only got one mounted on there (using O-clamps and the longer legs), but it looks like it'd be simple enough to mount a second one under it using O-clamps, slightly shifted by whatever the width of your clamps is. I'm sure you could do it with other types too, I just have all O-clamps.

I'll take a picture if you want of one mounted up there.

• Members

I ended up getting a really sweet deal on some GT Triangular mini truss. Got a pair of base stands so we just bring them in and stand them up. I'm all about setting up and tearing down as fast as possible :)

The pics helped a ton though I really appreciate it. I'll look at the other items you mentioned too.

• Members

No problem, if you need anything else let me know. I used to use some triangular antenna truss but the 10' sections were too much to carry around. I cut 'em down to 5' each and mount strobes on them occasionally (or I used to, at least, before most of my cheap strobes burned out and I didn't bother fixing or replacing them), but with the Colorstrips I find it's just as easy to drop a trike down on the ground and raise it up a few feet... takes up way less room in the car too. :)

I'd imagine one huge benefit of going with triangle truss would be that you could mount the Colorstrips inside the truss and you've got instant cases for them... I don't think anyone would notice a difference in light output unless they were really looking, either.

• Members

Here is my only concern with the tri truss - stability (I was going to get the mini truss). 6.5' up with a small base and potentially top heavy, might be a safety concern. Thinking I will change to a pair of trees 1 for the P64 LED's and 1 for the Colorstrip.

• Members

If you get a base for the triangle stand, you should be able to weigh it down. When we brought our antenna truss out, we'd tie it to either the wall (when that was an option) or an amp, since we weren't putting much weight on 'em.

If you already bought the triangle truss, you can also get tripod adapters that will let you use tripods to hold the truss horizontally; stick one trike on each side of the stage and put the V-adapters on top, and you can have the triangle truss lay across them, useful for holding banners/etc.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

As a followup, I drilled holes in mine and mounted 'em one right on top of another. I'll take pictures at the next show if anyone wants to see it. Make sure you triple-check the spacing before you drill, because it's a pretty close fit. They've got enough room to aim them a small amount; I point one down at the player on that side and one up to wash the stage a bit. Works really well.

• Members

I'll also mention that I bought some industrial-strength velcro at Wal-Mart, used the rigid side, and covered two of my Colorstrips (on one side, obviously) with it. This allows me to use one on each of my stands (at the back of the stage), and velcro the front ones to the tops of our PA cabinets. I velcro them right on the edge since there's a lip on the Colorstrips (the lip hangs over the edge of the cabinet), and while it looks scary, they're not going anywhere. Way easier than having to set up two more stands.

Archived