80zboy

• Members

Hi Guys...new to this forum. My band has a basic lighting setup:

1 Martin Hazer

Backline on the truss

2 Chauvet Intimidators 2.0

1 Martin Raptor

On top of the speakers

2 Chauvet Stage wash units (3 300w halogens per unit)

I've attached a couple photos to give you the idea...

I have the two intimidators setup as master and servant and are set to chase automatically and likewise, the stage wash units are setup as master and servant with auto chase.

I'm looking for advice of how to GREATLY improve our lightshow with a minimal cost. I'm thinking of adding three colorstrips to go on top of the truss and a dmx controller to bring all of the units together. Any other advice? If you are going to suggest specific products, please please please include a link to the product cause I don't know what any of this stuff is...just a dumb singer.

I would really like for the light show to pretty much run itself so we don't have to make the sound guy do it.

Question: Should the color strips be mounted facing the audience, or pointing down like in the product demo? Or perhaps at 45 degrees? I think the demo looks very cool.

Any help or suggestions are welcome!

Stu

• Members

I just moved my Colorstrips to the back truss at our last gig and the effect is amazing from the audience perspective -- adds a depth to the stage that was never there before. I'd post pictures but other people already have, and theirs came out better anyway!

• Members

The colorstrips are a very good choice for an upgrade. They should be pointed at about 45 degrees so that they backlight your band. You might also consider switching out your frontlights for American DJ Punch LED Pros or Chauvet Colorpalletes. However, if you can't afford 2 per side, don't switch out the stage washes for LED units, because you need 2 Punch Pros or Colorpalletes to take the place of one Stage Wash.

For a DMX controller, look at the DMX-70 by Chauvet. Great little controller once you figure it out (which can be a tad difficult, but it can be with any DMX controller. The DMX-70 is fairly easy.)

• Members

Thanks for the help so far...

I've noticed in other posts, people commenting that the colorstrips are too bright. Does aiming them down or at a 45 degree angle help with this?

They aren't too bright. That may be from looking straight in to them. Basically, you want to aim them so that the beam just reaches the shoulders of your front line of performers. That should do it.

Archived