Novascan Fan Noise

ned911

• Members

Picked up 4 Novascan 250-1 and 1 Martin MX-1 from evil bay. Need to get a pair of mirrors and a new cover but 3 off the 5 are fully functional.

I've got 2 up on the truss and started programming them. The fans however sound like jet engines. Is this normal?

Also, anyone have a suggestion for cases for these?

• Members

I actually tried out a pair of Brand new Novascans and thought they were pretty loud as well. We run a really low stage volume and it was noticebale to us when playing but probably not in the crowd. Got some Martin SCX500's and they are much quieter. A pair of them seemed quiter than 1 Novascan to me.

• Members

Picked up 4 Novascan 250-1 and 1 Martin MX-1 from evil bay. Need to get a pair of mirrors and a new cover but 3 off the 5 are fully functional.

I've got 2 up on the truss and started programming them. The fans however sound like jet engines. Is this normal?

Also, anyone have a suggestion for cases for these?

Like as with any device that has fans which vary in speed based on internal temperature, the internal fans will get louder the more the device is clogged up. The fan's efficiency is very much reliant on the fact that the blades are clean otherwise they wont move air as efficiently so, less efficient the hotter the unit gets. The hotter the unit, the faster the fan spin (if they have variable speed based on temperature as I don't know..) the louder the noise.

Sometimes fans will rattle the unit if they are not secured correctly so i'd check that too.. They aren't hard to clean nor are the air filters if fitted

Rimmer

• Members

Checked it out and cleaned it. Still sounds like a jet engine, lot more noise than my other Nova's, could be a bad bearing (if they have them). Will see about a replacement.

Sounds about right. Some cheap fans don't sound good from the off.. I tend to chose Papst fans over Sunon and the like as they tend to be quieter and more reliable..

Before you commit though, just double check that it's not chassis noise. It's not uncommon to have a seemingly tight fitting fan actually be lose enough to rattle the cage around it. Probably the fan itself I suspect but you never do know..!

Best of luck!

Rimmer

• Members

It's the main fan not the smaller 60mm one on the side. Bill/Rimmer what size is that? I've probably got a couple Pabst 120's from my PC modding days laying around. I know there are a million 80mm fans in the closet :)

Archived