On-stage band lighting

extremelybored

• Members

I'm attempting to put together a low-budget but effective light show to have on stage with my band...

We usually play in small clubs so lighting the stage/dancefloor isn't an issue, we just want to put on a bit more of a show than your average local act!

Previously we've experimented with lasers + projectors and a lot of smoke but it's not dynamic enough and doesn't really react to what we're playing (electro-rock/dance crossover etc etc).

Our new idea is to light each band-member individually from a very short distance away and have these lights react individually to the music (perhaps also sync'ing up in obvious places). Colour doesn't really come into it, as we just want to highlight the band in what are normally rather dimly light venues!

It seems we could get a dimmer pack and hook various old lamps/reading lights etc up to it but I have a feeling it would not only be rather ineffective but also look a bit shoddy... Perhaps worklights would work?

The other option is stand-alone/DMX lights which would be far more expensive but perhaps ultimately more useful?

I've also found THESE, which if they react to sound could be perfect... Just rather expensive and power-hungry when you need five!

If anyone has any ideas, we're open to suggestion!

The main things are:

compact solution - we already have two cars full of gear

at least semi automated and sound-reactive

low dollah!

Cheers!

• Members

We started with 3 Par64 LED's on a t-bar, each one is aimed at a band member for front lighting.

Now we also have a rear truss that can either be run horizontally across the back or 2 sticks can be stacked vertically. There are 3 Colorstrips, 2 P38 LED Pars a white Pearl and 2 Novascans (not always used).

Hoping to have some video ready soon.

• Members

Yeah, sounds like LEDs will do what you want. You'll be able to place them close to you (no heat), set them to sound active and they'll change color with the music (sorta), and they don't use much power at all (nowhere near as much as standard lights).

If you're putting them close to the performers they should be bright, but they'll be blinding. A diffuser of some sort would probably help a lot.

• Members

Yeah, sounds like LEDs will do what you want. You'll be able to place them close to you (no heat), set them to sound active and they'll change color with the music (sorta), and they don't use much power at all (nowhere near as much as standard lights).

If you're putting them close to the performers they should be bright, but they'll be blinding. A diffuser of some sort would probably help a lot.

We'd be putting them out of direct eyelines but barn doors would help I think - the 'shape' of the light needs to be roughly person shaped and I'm unsure if pars will have a wide enough spread...

I'm not too fussed about colours, they just need to pulse/flash roughly with the beat... The heat thing is a good point though hmm

We're not looking for a whole rig, just something small and easy to look a bit cool on stage :lol:

Archived