LED screens, the next big thing?

kmok86

• Members

Hey everyone,

I went to a few "bigger" rock shows and it seems that LED screens / backdrops are the big thing right now. These don't seem to be full tilt video screens but they have different patterns and colours flying across the stage and stuff like that.

These thing probably cost a fortune. It'd be pretty impressive if they come up with cheaper club size versions. Kind of like putting a bunch of those Chauvet ColorPalette together except not as blinding.

• Members

I'd love it if there were a cheaper way to get this look, but I've yet to find something suitable. Closest I've come is using a Spandex screen or a white thin fabric in front of some LED fixtures... but still nowhere close. You can do crazy stuff with a full-out LED backdrop, that's for damn sure.

• Members

Two years ago at the Maryland State Fair we had LED video screens on each side of the stage for the Royal NY Doo Wop Show.

Here's a pic of one of them before it was raised.

4ta83k.jpg' alt='>'>

During the show.

33orx45.jpg' alt='>'>

I'm in the middle.

r1xwtx.jpg' alt='>'>

• Members

Yeah, the Paisley/Bentley/Rucker show I went to this spring was just nutz with the stuff. I think that they were using some version of the colortubes or rainbow tubes and they were everywhere. Geek that I am, I noticed that they were in banks of 10... so I started counting and with all of the runways, backdrops, trusses, etc. I got up to around 1000 tubes or more before I got bored with the math and went to get a beer. I'm sure that they were better than the plain-jane Colortube 2.0, or Rainbow Tubes (because they were feeding video-esque imagery to them) but that's in the ballpark of at least $150,000... just for the tubes... and then there was at least another $200K in movers, and who knows what the price tag on the 40'x120' video wall was...

• Members

I've never understood those star cloth type things, LED curtains, etc. Seems like you could hang a black drape, poke a hole in it, and use a light behind the thing for the same effect, except that it'd be more portable and more useful. I guess the color changing ones you'd need a few LED lights behind it to do that, but still.

Archived