Help with band getting lights!

• Members

our band is now doing shows regulary and we have decided too dump $1000-1500 on lights/effects. We were thinking of getting and obey 40 controller, 4 75 watt strobes, one of those musicians friends par can packages(comes with stands,cans,relay packs) and than 2 chauvet colorstrips,2 led cans and a fogger.

The colorstrips would be in the back pointed down/slight angle(if possible) to give a cool backround color. The cans would give us our front light. then the 2 led cans from the front/side some more color.

We were just wondering if this would be a good setup for a poplar local band(people come to our shows =D). PLease correct me if any of these ideas are wrong or could be improved. thanks

• Members

Sounds like an awful lot of individual items and a lot of cabling to deal with IMHO.

The strips from the rear are a good idea and will do the task well. You should consider a second pair for your side lighting as well. All four LED strips could be permanently mounted to the T bars and pack into a single road case.

For your front (face) lighting, a couple of LED 1w fixtures with RGBAW color mixing and the Obey 40 would complete the system. Quick to set up and strike, minimal power usage and only five DMX control cables.

• Members

I agree with Bill.

My experience is the simpler the set up and the easier it is to put up and get running, the better.

My VERY simple system right now includes an Obey 70 (I went that big because I hoped to expand) four LED cans and two incandescents run from floor box. I occassionally add two black lights. I hope to add a few more RBGA cans and maybe some color bars in the near future.

I have all the led's on Tbars with power wire and dmx cable all preconnected and tie wrapped to the T bar, Put the T bar on the stand, plug in power and the DMX and go.

I know DMX LED's are more expensive than a incandescent can, but I think of it this way, it's like replacing three or four lights (RBGA) with one or two. Plus power consumption is a NON issue, and so is heat.

Lastly, when you are rushed for set up the lights always seem to be last to put up, and if the system is complex and hard to set up, well, half of it will never make it out of the road cases. Lots of $'s spend and you never use it.

• Members

our band is now doing shows regulary and we have decided too dump $1000-1500 on lights/effects. We were thinking of getting and obey 40 controller, 4 75 watt strobes, one of those musicians friends par can packages(comes with stands,cans,relay packs) and than 2 chauvet colorstrips,2 led cans and a fogger.

The colorstrips would be in the back pointed down/slight angle(if possible) to give a cool backround color. The cans would give us our front light. then the 2 led cans from the front/side some more color.

We were just wondering if this would be a good setup for a poplar local band(people come to our shows =D). PLease correct me if any of these ideas are wrong or could be improved. thanks

I prefer local bands of oak...

;)

Archived